Nesting boxes in both coop and run?

Catie1212

Chirping
May 1, 2023
Jamestown NY / Warren PA
Thanks in advance for the chicken wisdom!

My one hen has officially started laying. The others are soon to follow any day now. We have nesting boxes in the coop, but she tends to lay mid-morning so I am having to run her from the run to coop to lay. They are not connected, so it is a manual process.

I would like to add a nesting box or two in the run so I don’t have to do this as they all start laying but also don’t want to confuse them.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Here's the thing about laying eggs: It takes about 26 hrs (for many birds) from the time one egg is laid to the time the next egg is laid, which means that each day, the time of egg laying will get a little later until it gets too late in the day and they skip it to start over the next morning.

All of this is to say that if your run isn't connected to the coop, it's probably best to have nest boxes in the run, as each hen will lay at a different time each day depending on when they laid the day before. Is there any way at all to connect the run to the coop? A chunnel perhaps?

Here's the thing about laying eggs: It takes about 26 hrs (for many birds) from the time one egg is laid to the time the next egg is laid, which means that each day, the time of egg laying will get a little later until it gets too late in the day and they skip it to start over the next morning.

All of this is to say that if your run isn't connected to the coop, it's probably best to have nest boxes in the run, as each hen will lay at a different time each day depending on when they laid the day before. Is there any way at all to connect the run to the coop? A chunnel perhaps?
Thank you, that is good information! Yes, I am working with hubby on a long term connection plan but it probably won’t be ready till fall.

6 chickens in a 4x6x6 "shed" - homemade. Looking into all things winter right now. I am not happy with light and ventilation for winter lockdown so we are still building / experimenting.
You're planning on locking them in all winter? You really don't have space for it. You'd want at least double that space or half the number of birds. If the cold is a concern, weather proofing the run is the better option. There's members here in Canada, Alaska, etc. and most of their flocks still get some outside time.

Back
Top Bottom