Nevadans?

we have figured out a pretty good system to manage our swamp cooler. jose turned it on earlier in the day yesterday on low and put even more fans down the hallway to circulate the air. then since our water line is broken for the sprinkler system and that is what fed the swamp cooler, we have to keep filling up the reservoir with the hose. so as soon as the air starts coming in warm, it's time to fill up! anyway, when i got home yesterday afternoon it was quite pleasant. it will run on low for a long time. he said it did quit for awhile but then he was able to start it after it rested for awhile. oh the drama of our home appliances! i found the info on the blower strength etc so I will try to look that up on the internet this week to see what size motor is ideal.

my lazy girls only laid 9 eggs yesterday. i guess i can't blame them with the heat but come on, there are 19 of them capable of laying! I have been saving the marans eggs and blew 3 of them out yesterday for my display. they are so pretty!

hi sunny! hope you get internet access soon. we need you on here more often!

Oh scratch that, I had forgotten about how my birds got sick last month. better just keep a closed flock to be safe.

Well just went out to fill up waterers and feed and get everyone ready for bed and found Nanners dead. She was laying on a platform right below her usual roosting spot. I dont know what happened but she was already stiff. I cannot say how long she had been there. Markie is going to be really bummed. Poor Nanners. I hope it isnt related to the illnesses from last month. Everyone was treated and she was healthy as a horse yesterday. Maybe she was just angry with me for not letting her set that pile of 25 eggs that she had been hiding and decided to just end it all. that'll show me. well it did. Nanners
sad.png
hit.gif
hugs.gif
so sorry. Nanners was so cute. I hope the rest of your birds are ok. I worry about mine too in the heat. try to water down the ground in the run and i've been leaving the nest box hatch open in the afternoon when i get home since I have a silly broody that persists. i have shade cloth over much of the run but i've been thinking of putting a tarp over part of it for even more thorough shade. our tree also provides quite a bit of shade.
Oh I'm so sorry. Is it as hot there as it is here? If she sat for a while she may have just lost enough energy to not be able to handle the heat. I'm watching 2 broodies right now and one keeps moving the eggs almost out in full sun.

O have an egg eater. Had a FBCM egg in a nest box and went to check rabbit waterers and when I got back the egg was gone. I chased one of the FBCM hens down the other day when the others were chasing her for the smashed egg she had in her mouth. They have oyster shell out there, so don't know why that's happening
oh, hope that egg eating stops. I have issues from time to time. that reminds me, i need to refill the oyster shell...

my lazy girls only laid 9 eggs yesterday. i guess i can't blame them with the heat but come on, there are 19 of them capable of laying! I have been saving the marans eggs and blew 3 of them out yesterday for my display. they are so pretty!

Mine have slowed down, too. I'm getting about 4 eggs a day, and only 2 broodies right now. I'm so thankful for this huge mature tree in the back yard, and I'm sure all the animals are, as well.

I put pieces of wood in the nesting boxes to half-close the entrances to the broodies. I think it's working so far. Tom Ka Gai is out right now, eating. If anything's going to hatch, it'll probably be tomorrow.
fl.gif

Well, I'm off to buy more feed! We're going through laying feed like crazy! And very little dog food.
hmm.png
I sure hope those dogs are drinking lots of water. I've been lacing the feed with cayenne, but I think they've developed a taste for it now.

we have figured out a pretty good system to manage our swamp cooler. jose turned it on earlier in the day yesterday on low and put even more fans down the hallway to circulate the air. then since our water line is broken for the sprinkler system and that is what fed the swamp cooler, we have to keep filling up the reservoir with the hose. so as soon as the air starts coming in warm, it's time to fill up! anyway, when i got home yesterday afternoon it was quite pleasant. it will run on low for a long time. he said it did quit for awhile but then he was able to start it after it rested for awhile. oh the drama of our home appliances! i found the info on the blower strength etc so I will try to look that up on the internet this week to see what size motor is ideal.
If you run the hose over the mats to fill it, it will give a nice burst of really cool air!

Mine have slowed down, too. I'm getting about 4 eggs a day, and only 2 broodies right now. I'm so thankful for this huge mature tree in the back yard, and I'm sure all the animals are, as well.
Mine have gone schizo on their laying. One day it will be 1 dozen, the next, 2 dozen or more! BTW Missy that shade tree in your backyard is awesome! Wish I had one like that.

I put pieces of wood in the nesting boxes to half-close the entrances to the broodies. I think it's working so far. Tom Ka Gai is out right now, eating. If anything's going to hatch, it'll probably be tomorrow.
fl.gif

Well, I'm off to buy more feed! We're going through laying feed like crazy! And very little dog food.
hmm.png
I sure hope those dogs are drinking lots of water. I've been lacing the feed with cayenne, but I think they've developed a taste for it now.
Good luck on your hatch! And LOL on the dogs developing a taste for cayenne!
lol.png

Aubrey
So what color did you think eggs were before they had color pictures? They showed up grey, of course! Just think of it as a retro egg.....
wink.png
lau.gif

This morning, I moved Sour and her 6 remaining eggs into a nesting box that NOBODY uses. And I went out a few hours ago and found a new egg under here, from Original. Honestly, is egg-laying so traumatic that they have to use the buddy system? Like going to the ladies' room on a group date or something???

barnie.gif
gig.gif
I never got the group bathroom thing either. Went out to dinner with a couple about a year ago and when the wife got up to go she asked me if I was coming... the look of surprise and confusion on my face must have been answer enough cause she just laughed and said "or not". Why, oh why, would I head to the bathroom if I don't actually need to use it?
idunno.gif

What happened to my post about the grey egg?? Did no one read it?????????????

Use that grey layer to breed back to a bird from a very blue egg and you will get LAVENDER EGGS! Sheesh people! Do you not know what makings you have there???
I started to say cause she can't have roos there to start a breeding program but then saw she already answered. I would love lavender eggs!!! So far none of the laying flock is laying anything but plain brown eggs. No blue, no lavender and no green eggs. All of the non-marans are in the laying coop.
sad.png

Oh scratch that, I had forgotten about how my birds got sick last month. better just keep a closed flock to be safe.

Well just went out to fill up waterers and feed and get everyone ready for bed and found Nanners dead. She was laying on a platform right below her usual roosting spot. I dont know what happened but she was already stiff. I cannot say how long she had been there. Markie is going to be really bummed. Poor Nanners. I hope it isnt related to the illnesses from last month. Everyone was treated and she was healthy as a horse yesterday. Maybe she was just angry with me for not letting her set that pile of 25 eggs that she had been hiding and decided to just end it all. that'll show me. well it did. Nanners
sad.png
hit.gif
Oh no! I am so sorry Aubrey!!! I know how much you and Mark loved little Nanners! It was most likely the heat. She would have been a little low on reserves anyway since she had just been broody and broodies don't eat or drink as much as normal.
I just checked my coops (which are roasting and I can't get most of the birds to leave it for the nice wet run I made for them) and I lost a bird too. It was one of the polish roos but they were destined for Craigs List anyway. I gave them all some frozen veggies and freezer packs but they are in there panting with their wings held straight out from their body. A few are smart enough to stay out when I put them out but a lot of them went right back in. Especially the layer's coop.

O have an egg eater. Had a FBCM egg in a nest box and went to check rabbit waterers and when I got back the egg was gone. I chased one of the FBCM hens down the other day when the others were chasing her for the smashed egg she had in her mouth. They have oyster shell out there, so don't know why that's happening
Oh man! So many of us have been having problems with egg eaters this year! What is up with that? I am getting eggs again so I think I may have the situation under control.
fl.gif

Quote: I love a crunchy garlic dill! Good luck!
Does anyone on here know how to dispatch a rabbit? I have one that is not going found at all.
I haven't a clue.
I put grape leaves in my pickles too. I read too read that it's supposed to make them crisp. To be honest I believe lowering the processing time has more to do with crispness but my pickles are so popular my family they wouldn't dare let me mess with the recipe and we grow grapes so I have them available. My mouth is watering!
droolin.gif
I'm going to the Farmers Market today and pick up some cucumbers. I can't wait for mine to produce at the same time.
Quote: OK now I am craving them something awful!!! Anyone know where I can get good garlic dills here in Reno?

hi sunny! hope you get internet access soon. we need you on here more often!
I hope so too! I think I'm going through withdrawals!!! lol
Quote: I agree with Ron! I have total tree envy right now!!! This is the first place I have ever lived without mature trees around. I thought the last place was bare of trees but at least they had 3 poplars. This place has nothing!

When did you set those eggs? I didn't think they were due til a week after mine (that are in the incubator) and they just started hatching. So far I have 2 out and the first one has got to be a roo! This chick has the most enormous feet I have ever seen on a chick!

Last edited:
I agree with Ron! I have total tree envy right now!!! This is the first place I have ever lived without mature trees around. I thought the last place was bare of trees but at least they had 3 poplars. This place has nothing!
You better head over to the Washoe State Tree Nursery!

When did you set those eggs? I didn't think they were due til a week after mine (that are in the incubator) and they just started hatching. So far I have 2 out and the first one has got to be a roo! This chick has the most enormous feet I have ever seen on a chick!

The older ones got set out there on June 20th, but I don't know if they had a late start when Loco couldn't decide if she wanted to be broody or not. She was on and off the nest for about 3 days before Tom Ka Gai decided to take over, and those days it was kind of cool outside. Imagine that. But if I counted the 20th as the first day, we're on day 21 right now.

The newer ones went out the night of June 3rd, a few hours after I got back from your place. If you count the day after that as the first day, they're on day 7.

How sad that some of you have lost birds due to the heat
hit.gif
Sorry for everyone's losses!
hugs.gif
Kirstie (who you got the Marans chicks from) lost a lavender Ameraucana hen yesterday morning. It is quite hot here too
sad.png
It is almost 5:00 pm and still 99 degrees in the shade. I have been lucky so far. I have water misters in all of my pens and the chickens are panting but not in distress. I have 3 broodies insisting on staying in the chicken house but I have 2 fans running in there. The thermometer still reads 92 degrees though. Hoping the temps cool down soon!
fl.gif

I put up a tarp on the run and it's a big hit. it creates some real shade on part of the run. I had the shade cloth in the garage which is why i put it up but I think tarps are much better. the shade cloth lets in too much sun. with the tarp, the shade cloth and the tree, most of the run has shade now. i gave them some partially thawed fruit to cool them off. so far everyone is okay. I put the broody out in the run again. she'll probably go back in again soon but i opened the flap on the boxes to get some air in there.

sorry you lost one, Sunny. hopefully your other ones will get out of the coop for some air!

Sorry that Kirstie lost a hen.
hit.gif
Hopefully the heat will die down soon. Here it looks like we have a few more days and then it will drop down around Friday.

geeze, Sunny, im sorry about your roo :( Little Nanner was our absolute favorite. we just loved her so so so much. I will be painting her next. it just sucks so bad when they WONT LET YOU HELP THEM. for crying out loud! You idiots stand out in the rain until youre freezing half to death but you wont let me squirt you with the hose when its 100 degrees out?!?!
rant.gif

It just makes me so sad to think of how hot they are and how much they are suffering. I am EXTREMELY grateful for my gigantic tree and even for my huge ugly deck that provides so much shade. I am down to three eggs a day and i know exactly who is laying them. My grey egg, a blue egg, and a white egg from the leghorn. I want my eggs back :(

I walked over to check on Garden #2 this afternoon, and got really cranky for a moment. Someone had slung two full garbage bags over the fence. Then I looked closer and noticed they were full of coffee grounds!!!

wee.gif

Thank you, Aubrey! There's a return present sitting in Bibo's fridge for you. Two of them were starting to bolt, so they might not be as tender as the others.

Those grounds are going on cucumbers, delicata squash, basil, and pole beans tomorrow.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom