Nevadans?

Just a few minutes ago, I went out to count chickens. Tom Ka Gai didn't look so good, so I took her off the nest and made her drink water. She stood there and drank for about 5 minutes. While she was off, I picked up the 3 eggs that are on Day 21 tomorrow, and inspected them. I heard peeping that was too young for my 12-wk-olds. It was the eggs. They were CHEEPING!!! Two of them were tapping at my hand through the shell!!! Tom went RIGHT back on the nest after her food and water. We'll see tomorrow if all 3 survive the hatching.​

fl.gif

Just a few minutes ago, I went out to count chickens. Tom Ka Gai didn't look so good, so I took her off the nest and made her drink water. She stood there and drank for about 5 minutes. While she was off, I picked up the 3 eggs that are on Day 21 tomorrow, and inspected them. I heard peeping that was too young for my 12-wk-olds. It was the eggs. They were CHEEPING!!! Two of them were tapping at my hand through the shell!!! Tom went RIGHT back on the nest after her food and water. We'll see tomorrow if all 3 survive the hatching.​

fl.gif
Keeping my fingers crossed and a little prayer for the wee ones!

fl.gif
Come on babies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Sheryl - that couldn't have been good news but knowing is better than not. I will continue to pray for you and also send a request to the prayer chain at church!
hugs.gif

Hey NevadaRon

I drove through Dayton today and was thinking about you... wondering where you live and all. Had to return my daughter's best friend to Carson City for her ride home to CA. Had a fairly nice day. Was VERY wiped out. I think its the heat. I haven't been sleeping well and was just REALLY tired.

I hear we're expecting temps of 103 tomorrow! Yikes!

I have a girl out in the barn that has been on the nest the last three nights. The last two nights, she has gone to the perch when I disturbed her. Tonight she only went about 2 feet away from where she was. I collected all the eggs as none of them are fertile. I only have one girl laying fertile eggs right now so I guess I'll save about 4 eggs from her for this other one (I think its Katie, hard to tell in the twilight) to hatch if she keeps it up. I wish she wouldn't but I've never had good luck breaking them from broodiness and also they're supposed to be a non-setting breed - Andalusians. But I have a family line that has one of the girls go broody every year and I don't want to squelch that so rather than let her sit around for no reason and waste away, they seem to go into some sort of trance, I'll give her some eggs.

Sheryl, I'm so sorry to hear about your liver problem. Would it be alright if I pray for you too?

Hey NevadaRon

I drove through Dayton today and was thinking about you... wondering where you live and all. Had to return my daughter's best friend to Carson City for her ride home to CA. Had a fairly nice day. Was VERY wiped out. I think its the heat. I haven't been sleeping well and was just REALLY tired.

I hear we're expecting temps of 103 tomorrow! Yikes!

I have a girl out in the barn that has been on the nest the last three nights. The last two nights, she has gone to the perch when I disturbed her. Tonight she only went about 2 feet away from where she was. I collected all the eggs as none of them are fertile. I only have one girl laying fertile eggs right now so I guess I'll save about 4 eggs from her for this other one (I think its Katie, hard to tell in the twilight) to hatch if she keeps it up. I wish she wouldn't but I've never had good luck breaking them from broodiness and also they're supposed to be a non-setting breed - Andalusians. But I have a family line that has one of the girls go broody every year and I don't want to squelch that so rather than let her sit around for no reason and waste away, they seem to go into some sort of trance, I'll give her some eggs.

Sheryl, I'm so sorry to hear about your liver problem. Would it be alright if I pray for you too?
Hey Lacy! You were coming from Fallon, right? I'm on the south side of Hwy 50 just after you come over the hill from Stagecoach on Rainbow Dr. That's the hill you see behind me in my avatar pic. Basically as far east as you can be in Dayton!

ETA: Post pics of your babies ASAP Missy!
pop.gif

ETAA: Got a new C-A-L Ranch flyer today. They are giving away six free chicks with the purchase of a 50 lb. bag of Nutrena chick starter!

Last edited:
hugs.gif
Thanks you guys! You all make it very special for me.

Missy, a lobe will do it for sure. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow to find out what I need to do right now. My dad's going to get tested now since this takes a gene from both of my parents. This is actually becoming more common though so perhaps they will have a full cure soon. I need to find out if I must quit my job now because I can't be exposed to any cigarette smoke, dust or anything that can harm my lungs. This disease will attack my lungs too. If I have a liver transplant then my lungs will be okay. We shall see though.

frow.gif
everyone!

I'm so sorry for the losses everyone is having these last few months. I'm very lucky my flock has the willow tree and sharon of roses bushes for their shade. I also soak the ground for them before I leave for work. Luckily they all stay outside unless they're broody or laying an egg.

I got the lab results today and I do have the disease. I'm figuring out what I want to do with myself now. I did found out there is a cure. I would need a liver transplant and the disease will be gone. So we shall see what I end up doing after all. I am so thankful I've learned of this before my grandchildren are harmed from this.
I'm so sorry Sheryl, my prayers are with you as you start this journey.

Back
Top Bottom