Nevadans?

We have one healthy baby, who hatched out before noon. The others tried to hatch between 1 and 5pm today, and didn't make it. It looks like they got caught up in the membrane, and it dried out, even though Tom Ka Gai was being a good mommy. I tried to wash down the outside of the nesting box a few times, and even draped it with an old white sheet. I think the air was just too dry.

Tomorrow I'll put them in the mini coop. The second set of eggs is due to hatch around the 25th.
Oh, sorry about the two that didn't make it Missy!
hit.gif
But, you have one that did.
woot.gif
Can't wait to see it!

well things do happen in threes I guess. After working my ten hour shift and biking home (mark is out of town with my car) in this heat, I walked inside and was blasted with hot air. 95* in here and the dog and cats are half dead. The pump has already gone out. Im so hot and sick and tired I could just cry. This week sucks.
Wow that's really a bummer Aubrey!
sad.png
Hope you get it fixed soon.

Oh missy congrats to you and your little miracle chick! SHE made it through all that broody musical chairs!

Mine are on day 18 tomorrow and i went and bought a good LED flashlight so I could take one good look at them before I cant touch em anymore, and i think theyve both quit. There is good development, but no movement at all that I could see. The EE egg seems to have what I can only describe as "some liquidy bits" above the airsac line. I have no clue what that means but it cant be good. Is it normal to not see movement? this late in the game would they start to develop blood rings if they had passed? I dont really see eggs surviving this heat, especially since incubation temps are LOWER than what it was today! *sigh*

well things do happen in threes I guess. After working my ten hour shift and biking home (mark is out of town with my car) in this heat, I walked inside and was blasted with hot air. 95* in here and the dog and cats are half dead. The pump has already gone out. Im so hot and sick and tired I could just cry. This week sucks.

Oh boy, I don't want to find out what the other two things for me are, then. I'm disappointed about the 2 babies, but I honestly didn't expect all of them to make it, anyway. Sorry your house is so hot!

I went to Walmart today and bought sheer cloth (for more shade,) binder clips (to clip the shade onto multiple surfaces,) and two personal fans that were $6 each. They didn't put out much, but the openings in the grills were small, and I can tuck them in corners where chickens won't mess with them too much. The mini coop is going to get cloth over the entire top of it, until this heat wave is gone! It would be way too tragic if I lost this baby, after it survived the hatching.

Hi StevieNay

I haven't seen your name before but then I haven't been subscribed to this group for very long either.

I was just wondering something... I've had to cut my salt intake, due to my kidneys, and I LOVE guacamole. We usually use a premix from an envelope but since cutting my salt, I have found that this stuff is just too salty for me even though I never noticed it before.

Do you make your own guacamole without a premix? If so, would you be willing to share your recipe? Or anyone else for that matter... I miss the guacamole!

We make ours from scratch. A couple of avocados, juice from a lime, 1/4 cup or so of chopped cilantro, 1/2 chopped jalapeno, a couple cloves of pressed garlic, and just enough salt to bring out the flavor. When I serve it, I have to instruct the kids to ration it so everyone gets some.

Last edited:
Oh boy, I don't want to find out what the other two things for me are, then. I'm disappointed about the 2 babies, but I honestly didn't expect all of them to make it, anyway. Sorry your house is so hot!

I went to Walmart today and bought sheer cloth (for more shade,) binder clips (to clip the shade onto multiple surfaces,) and two personal fans that were $6 each. They didn't put out much, but the openings in the grills were small, and I can tuck them in corners where chickens won't mess with them too much. The mini coop is going to get cloth over the entire top of it, until this heat wave is gone! It would be way too tragic if I lost this baby, after it survived the hatching.

We make ours from scratch. A couple of avocados, juice from a lime, 1/4 cup or so of chopped cilantro, 1/2 chopped jalapeno, a couple cloves of pressed garlic, and just enough salt to bring out the flavor. When I serve it, I have to instruct the kids to ration it so everyone gets some.
Thats how we make ours too! sometimes I throw a little pico de gallo in there too :)

Oh missy congrats to you and your little miracle chick! SHE made it through all that broody musical chairs!

Mine are on day 18 tomorrow and i went and bought a good LED flashlight so I could take one good look at them before I cant touch em anymore, and i think theyve both quit. There is good development, but no movement at all that I could see. The EE egg seems to have what I can only describe as "some liquidy bits" above the airsac line. I have no clue what that means but it cant be good. Is it normal to not see movement? this late in the game would they start to develop blood rings if they had passed? I dont really see eggs surviving this heat, especially since incubation temps are LOWER than what it was today! *sigh*

Lol positive girl thoughts!!! She is a miracle, and looks so very healthy.

When I candled mine on day 18, I didn't see any movement at all. They were dark eggs, but I know I saw no movement. And they survived the last 3 days of about 100 degrees, with the mommy clamped down tight on them.

I think that's what I'm going to name my baby. Pico de Gallo. Or Pocito de Gallina.
lau.gif
I LOVE IT!!!!!

thanks for the insight on your eggs. Im so worried. I just feel like this week is such a bad week and feel awful that they may get sucked into it. They are definitely formed beyond the airsac now which means theyre nice and big and ready (hopefully). I am not sure if today is day 17 or 18 or 16 or 19 honestly but i hope were close because im tired of worrying, lol.

Hi Lacy, I'm kind of a lurker, and I don't post very much. I made my guacamole the way I make everything... a little of this and a little of that. I used 12 small avocados, the juice of two lemons, some garlic powder, onion powder, a little cayenne, and a few sprinkles of sea salt maybe a teaspoon or so. My fiance doesn't really like too much seasoning, he'd rather eat plain avocado. I like the seasoning though, so I compromise and just use smaller amounts. I kind of did a sprinkle, mix, taste... Whenever I thaw more out I might add some fresh tomatoes and cilantro, too.
Congrats on the new chick Missy.
jumpy.gif

Aubrey, I hope you get your cooler sorted out. It might be time for the old childhood stand by. Stick your head in the freezer. I can hear my grandmother yelling for me to close it like it was yesterday!

Back
Top Bottom