Nevadans?

Wow, that's a great mix. Most should be viable next year. And if we're going to build a barrier that horses can't get through, we can also help rig it against winds, and put the hardier plants in the middle where the wind won't be a factor.

I am willing to work hard. However, I'm at least an hour away from you guys over there in the Reno area. We just moved here last year and I'm still trying to get things upgraded for my birds. I breed Andalusians and I brought them all with me so I'm having to work with what was here and trying to improve it at the same time, even while its in use! Very difficult.

We have an area partly fenced off for a garden, even bought several loads of horse manure/straw and its all piled up out there. We have an ATV and a couple attachments, one is a disc for chopping and blending and the other one is a cultivator. I wanted to plant corn this year and many other things. Got asparagus and that is about all that exists out there right now. We got a pallet load of cinder blocks that we intend to set up in 4x10 beds and then we plan to get a planting mix at the local garden supply to put in the beds. We'll be mixing in the manure/straw as we fill it up for use. Hopefully next year we'll be able to plant something.

So much to do and too bloody hot outside to do it in! I'm not going out to get a heat stroke. We have NO trees so there is no shade at all except what the buildings provide, which isn't much.

Yeah, I'm pretty far from Virginia City, too. For me, I would be doing things like raising the seedlings, coming up every few weekends to work, and advising through the internet. But if everyone is fine with the arrangement, I'm sure we could all manage to have AMAZING gardens.

Hey missy I'm sure you already have some but I just wanted to throw out there that mark and I have a couple of HUGE rosemary bushes if anyone here is ever interested in some fresh sprigs. It's really all we have to offer, we planted them 4 years ago

I might hit you up for some, if my rosemary plant doesn't work out. I've planted one each year for four years, and something happens. Last year, someone came and cut it. The entire garden, and they took the rosemary. And it was in the planter box right by the door, surrounded by other plants. I think it was an inside job. Or something. Anyway, I planted the new one in a portable container, so hopefully it stays.

Hey Julie, just the gal I wanted to talk to! I have a great friend here on BYC who sent me a bunch of antibiotics and first aid things when Petey was dying because I was flat broke and literally saved his life. Shes always wanted showgirls and this fall I was hoping to overnight her some chicks (she lives in colorado). Is there any way I could set up a hatch with you to end in late september or early october?

I wouldn't mind at ALL but I'm done hatching for the year. :hit The girls will be in molt about that time and egg production will be 0. Actually my bantams have slowed egg production a lot already! This heat is hard on them poor babies!! How about spring? Chicks and breeding is much better in the Spring. ;)

Hey missy I'm sure you already have some but I just wanted to throw out there that mark and I have a couple of HUGE rosemary bushes if anyone here is ever interested in some fresh sprigs. It's really all we have to offer, we planted them 4 years ago

I would LOVE some rosemary sprigs. Do they root easily? Is there a best time to do them?

I would LOVE some rosemary sprigs.  Do they root easily?  Is there a best time to do them? 

Lol I haven't the slightest clue AT ALL. I know nothing about gardening. We had planted four and only two took and I know for a fact that they weren't watered for a whole year when we lived in a different place so they must be pretty hardy once they take! Lemme know next time you're in town!

I wouldn't mind at ALL but I'm done hatching for the year. :hit The girls will be in molt about that time and egg production will be 0. Actually my bantams have slowed egg production a lot already! This heat is hard on them poor babies!! How about spring? Chicks and breeding is much better in the Spring. ;)

Lol okay

Well, we finally have squashes budding on all of our plants, tomatoes are setting and getting bigger, and the cucumber plant has several little cucs growing! I had to put up bird netting to protect my smallest and most delicate tomatoes. The finches were going crazy eating all of the leaves! I also realized they've been maiming my poor little pepper plants, too. I hope they'll be able to recover before the season ends.

Missy, do you put the coffee grounds directly on top of the soil? My roommate makes coffee everyday, so I was thinking I'd steal her grounds. I've been watering my container tomatoes with a mix of water and the leftover coffee, and they seem to be doing really well! Also, do you compost your bedding with the chicken manure and all? Do you just throw it in your compost heap? I turned my pile over and it is actually composting!!! I guess I can just credit the summer heat! I haven't added any bedding to it, though. I'm not quite sure about what ratio of things I need to let it compost well. Who knew I could acquire urban homesteading skills?

Elizabeth, I'm looking for nearly any kind of employment. I am getting nervous that I soon won't have an income. I've been applying to biology and lab jobs, but I also have experience as a receptionist and in sales, so I think I could pick most types of entry level work up quickly, too. I'm technically employed through this month, but after that the lab won't have the money left in the grant for me to do very much. Any leads would be great! :)

Back
Top Bottom