Never say never!

NoseyChickens

Feathers On The Ground
10 Years
Aug 3, 2009
Southern California
Just to give a little hope out there to those that have something go wrong during incubation. I had a temp spike of 104.5 the day of lockdown. I'm pretty sure it was like that for a few hours. i had given up all hope what so ever that they were alive. But, DH said to leave them in there. Sure as anything it's the morning of day 21 and I have one pip, a couple rocking, and a whole lot of peeping going on in the bator. I am just shocked!

I recently had 3 hatch on day 28 when every other time I toss on day 23, without looking. Makes me wonder how many I might have tossed that were still good after suffering low temperatures!

The only reason I let them keep going was because I wanted to teach my husband how to open an egg to see what was wrong. Well, nothing was wrong, the chick was alive! Put it back and left the others, and they were just a week late from a thermometer oops.

Wow, I've had hatches in the past where after the chicks are out, I've opened eggs as I'm tossing them out back into the garbage just to see at what stage they've died. And indeed have found live chicks in the egg. I always assumed them to be too far behind that they just hadn't died yet. But to hear you tell it, I feel pretty bad that I might have given up on the eggs too soon! Gah!

sad.png

I wish my oops turned out! i will admit my hen is sitting on eggs on day 27-had six hatch and she is so diligent I thought please make the decision for me and just GET UP off the nest if they are not viable. Please! Have made plenty of mistakes and don't want to make anymore by tossing good but slow ones. Glad you had a good suprise.

We had three hatch out of six while we were gone today. I will post a picture soon, but they are still in the bator waiting for the others to hatch.

I leave eggs in the incubator for 3 days past hatch due date or 3 days after last chick hatched.
On day 4 I either candle (if I can) or I float test the egg.
If there is movement back into the incubator it goes.

I've hatched quite a few "late bloomers" with this method.
Have to say I still have no idea why 99% will hatch on due day like they are supposed to,
but then I seem to get 1 or 2 that hatch almost a week later!

(I get this mostly with my Coturnix quails)

Back
Top Bottom