Never stop!!!!!

1- never withhold water from a chicken once out of the coop
2- get a chicken feeder, chickens stop eating when they are full
3- supply a source of grit and oyster shell
your problems should vanish
I was told that if they free range they dont need grit, should I still provide it? we should be going to our store soon so I need to get:

A feeder
More food (or something with high protein) (for their protein lack)
Grit? Oyster shells?

I was told that if they free range they dont need grit, should I still provide it? we should be going to our store soon so I need to get:

A feeder
More food (or something with high protein) (for their protein lack)
Grit? Oyster shells?
I still do because it doesn't hurt and its relatively cheap. Plus my birds are far too dumb to find grit on their own. oyster shells are a must.

Yes, let them out.
Don't withhold water during waking hours, no matter what.

When you checked their crops this morning - was that before they had any access to water/feed from the night before (they slept all night with no food/water)?
If they gorged the night before due to having limited feed, then the crops may have simply not emptied when you checked them.

Give them food free choice during the day, then re-check their crops again first thing in the morning while they are still roosting - see if the crops have emptied.

Take your time in checking all this and evaluating your situation before you take any measures to treat birds for something that may not be needed.
Yes, it was before they had food or water. We have a water bucket connected to a hose where they get their water. So yes, unfortunately, I did not see this yesterday and the chickens did not have water nor food all day yesterday :( I will let them out today.

I free feed and find that I have almost no waste with this feeder: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/in-praise-of-the-traditional-hanging-feeder.1452899/

1604358730013-png.2396886

By the way, I let them out, fed them, gave them water, I started by giving them 10-15 cups of fermented feed so that will keep them hydrated...thats all the fermented feed (should I ferment more?) Also, their crops have emptied... @Wyorp Rock was correct! Now I feel bad for not giving them water :( Now I know!

Thanks! thats the one thats at our feed store, although we want one that will be big enough to feed our flock for a week?! in the future so that we can go on vacation (my dad will stay to watch them, but I doubt he will feed them correctly. I love your little shed for feed and water!

Those feeders come in larger sizes, but there is a practical weight limit on how much you can hang.

For a larger flock and once-a-week feeding you need to have multiple feeders at multiple feeding station and multiple waterers at multiple water stations.

Those feeders come in larger sizes, but there is a practical weight limit on how much you can hang.

For a larger flock and once-a-week feeding you need to have multiple feeders at multiple feeding station and multiple waterers at multiple water stations.
Do you know how to teach chickens to use a nipple feeder? we made them one a while ago, but they just wont learn it no matter how hard we pecked and showed them...

Back
Top Bottom