New 19 week old pullets - signs of stress/not using roosts?

Pics
I've never used medicated feed, which here is usually amprolium against coccidiosis(but ask what the 'med' is).
Always had Corid(amprolium) on hand in case but never needed it
I've always used Purina Flock Raiser (20% protein, ~1% calcium). Good for all birds no matter age, laying status, or gender. Oyster Shell on the side for the layers.
Lots of different ways to feed.

@aart

We have "Purina 6040 Golden Start & Grow Crumble " available, think Oyster shell is special order but also available (what amount should should we add to daily feed?).

The 6040 has 20% Protein and .85% calcium so close if not exact to "Flock Raiser". I will see if Corid is available up here, if not will see if TSC has it and get some next Sweet PDZ run to Ogdensburg NY.

Good enough for you, more than good enough for me.

Once again thanks, you are a godsend!

BTW One of the ladies had made her own way up and onto the roost bar tonight; the other six were in their normal south east (front) corner. No complaints as I moved them, about 10 minutes in and out and I placed them on the back roost bar vs front that had been used for previous two nights.

25 Sep 07.jpg 25 Sep 08.JPG 25 Sep 09.jpg

Last edited:
will see if TSC has it
They should, but it's usually in the cattle section.

think Oyster shell is special order but also available (what amount should should we add to daily feed?
Do not add OS to the feed, but have a separate feeder. I made one out of a plastic 32oz salsa jar and ziptied it to the wall. Tho you may have to sprinkle a bit on top of feed and/or on the floor before they 'get' it.
full

Today we got three eggs, two of which were laid in the new nest box. One was laid about 9:30am in the nest box (1st pic - natural egg on left the other two are the onyx pseudo eggs used to entice), two more around 3pm,one in the nest box the other in the dark back corner were the first eggs were laid.

We again transported all seven birds to the roost bars, earlier than we had on previous night; less than 10 minutes, no fuss just turning about as they settled.

Also a couple of pics of sister and BIL, both of whom "hate' chickens.

26 Sep 05.jpg 26 Sep 16.jpg 26 Sep 17.jpg 26 Sep 18.jpg

Pictures 1st per @Texas Kiki request. I put 2-3" of fresh pine mulch on the floor and then a bale of straw that we let the ladies spread about. The 1st pic show shows mulch going in and their 2 roost boards (natural wood at the back), the 3rd last pic shows their ramp on left.

View attachment 1914571 View attachment 1914572 View attachment 1914573 View attachment 1914574 View attachment 1914575 View attachment 1914576 View attachment 1914577 View attachment 1914580

Gees...If I moved into a condo like that, I would take some time getting accustomed to it also. Looks totally fantastic.. more like a sun room than a chicken coop! They should be very happy (and lucky).

Weather is hot here in central Alabama so we only feed our chickens laying pellets. They get a few live mealworms every couple of days and we add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (with mother) and about a teaspoon of crushed garlic to their gallon of water each time we change it. Mites have been a problem for some around here but not for me. So far, all are surviving the upper 90s to 100 degree days and laying and doing well. Corn produces body heat so it is not good to give them anything in hot weather that has corn in it I have been told.

I dont understand the big deal about them using a roost?

I dont encourage or discourage it, but I DO discourage sleeping in nesting boxes except in Winter time .....only THEN will I let my silkies hang out in them IF they want.

My experience with roosting bars significantly off the ground can contribute to my heavier birds getting bumblefoot. NEVER had a bird with that since I lowered them significantly (only 1ft off ground) and/or did away with them.

Congrats on your new birds, and what a nice coop !!! Do keep in mind that different breeds mature at different rates, and of course some variance within breeds, individual results may vary............. aart's suggestion to watch the combs redden is a really good one and has been true in my very limited experience (I'm a new chicken parent too). Just breathe - they'll do what they do in their own time. You're doing fine.

Back
Top Bottom