New Addition - pregnant pig?

Also I purchased grower pig feed, is this suitable for her? I'm assuming she is a pot belly pig, would grower feed be too much for her?

Ive always heard to never feed them regular swine feed. Its made to grow them out fast, put weight on quickly. Thats not good for pot belly pigs. They get over weight way to easy.
They make "mini pig" food. We get it at tractor supply company.
Another thing is watch their sodium intake. Too much salt can be a real danger for them.
Hope you enjoy her. They are easy keepers

Thanks Bantam, I knew in my heart it was the wrong feed. I went to another feed store and found the mini pig food yesterday.

I guess I better start planning out a pen for her... It'll be winter before we know it. Will she need a heated pen to survive the winter? I read about some people using heat mats under their bedding? Is this necessary? I'm in northern Ontario so really not the most mild winters here.

Thanks Bantam, I knew in my heart it was the wrong feed. I went to another feed store and found the mini pig food yesterday.

I guess I better start planning out a pen for her... It'll be winter before we know it. Will she need a heated pen to survive the winter? I read about some people using heat mats under their bedding? Is this necessary? I'm in northern Ontario so really not the most mild winters here.

At least a 3 sided shelter. Probably lots of straw would be fine.

Hey guys. So I believe my pig is pregnant too but not sure when she is due. We separated her from all other pigs and her nipples are bagged out. Her vulva is swollen but not real swollen. She has been nesting but no milk. Can anyone help!
20180728_161337.jpg
20180727_180905.jpg

I am by no means an expert on potbellies. I suggest you get a book on them and troll the internet on the proper way to feed them. I imagine regular hog feed would not be the best choice. Potbellies need a lot more fiber and less concentrated feeds than our regular swine. They are designed to forage around for their feed. If you are not careful she can get waaay too fat. If she were mine, I would offer her primarily vegetables and alfalfa hay with only a limited amount of hog feed, but as I said, I am no expert on potbellies. She is a cute pig.

We have pot belly cross Julianna pigs , we feed them pig mash , we add water to it till it’s like oatmeal .

I bet she got too big for someone , sad how irresponsible people can be ,

We are in Canada so they’re in our barn in a insulated box house , towel over the door . It’s a big box with foam sheets inbetween the walls and floor.

Good luck , she is sweet . I was told they’re herd animals and need a friend
42319659-7188-40C9-AB4C-5A1D3CD61821.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom