New Alaskan breeders coop - finally!!! (pics)

Mrs MIA

Chick Magnet
11 Years
Mar 3, 2008
This is going to be our new breeder coop/pens - a whopping 12'x20' insulated building with pens running off each side. There is one 4x8' room as a brooder, and I have stacked brooders for chicks that will go there. It's fashioned after a horse barn, in a way - walkway down the middle with pens on either side. They're small - 4x4' square inside, with 4x? outdoor wired runs. I made the walls 8' tall, because no matter how tall I make them, we bonk our heads on ceilings and such. Plus there will be room up high for storage. There will, hopefully some day, be an arctic entry on it, too, for biosecurity and keeping heat-loss down. Once it's completed, we'll be dropping an insulated ceiling to keep the heat lower for our extreme winter temps (-30 to -40°F). Cup-waterers will be run along both runs, and the entire coop will be wired for heat - just enough to keep eggs/water from freezing. In the summer, the flooring is vinyl and easy to clean. In the winter, deep shavings to help insulate. It's south-facing so in the winter it will get some sun. In the summer, the sun is high enough that the trees will block most of it. So... here it is so far... I'm darn proud of hubby for all his help with this.

P3300005.jpg

P4120005.jpg

(I love the nail-gun! and it's an optical illusion... it really is squared up!
lol.png
)
P4130008.jpg

(The windows came from a building facing the runway at the AFB in Anchorage...
big_smile.png
... double-paned and sound-proof!!!)

4-18-08coop.jpg

We're about 90% framed in now - waiting on siding to be delivered (rough-cut, a.k.a. cheap, wood), and I'm working on the inside pens now. I predict another trip to Home Depot reallllll soon.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Check out my signature line...
big_smile.png

wink.png

Thanks... we're awfully proud of it! Can't wait for it to be done, though!

Looks like it is going to be a very nice coop. I used ot live in Anchorage about 15 years ago and I miss it so much. Beautiful land and scenery. I was told that was Gods country and everyone ought to have a chance to see it. Can you post some picks of the Mountains and Scenery. I'd love to see it again. Thanks

Angela

wow thats going tobe 1 nice coop setup when you get it done.ive got more than enough coops.an yall are giving me the fever for more coops.

Back
Top Bottom