Thank you sooo much!! We are getting a guinea pig cage tonight or sometime very soon. I was planning on building a run and coop and keeping them outside but I live in Michigan, where winter is horrible and I was scared they wouldn’t make it next year!

Outside housing can give them more room and is less smelly, but inside is safer from weather and predators. A guinea pig cage is fine while they're young, but will be too small for three adults. A large rabbit hutch might fit your needs—you can even convert it to bedding so they aren't standing on wire.

With a windbreak and mounds of fluffy bedding, mine were fine outdoors into the single digits. Also heard of people raising them in below-freezing temps with minimal fuss, but I'd be leery of doing that myself.

Important note: despite what many people say, quail are capable of becoming bored—they need enrichment like cover and plants to keep them occupied and feeling safe.

They try to run away from me but I grab them anyways, they are going to be my buddies whether they like it or not!! Haha

If you start by hanging your hand inside the brooder for 10-15 minutes, letting them walk around and over it, I find it makes them less afraid of being held later. Then you can move to feeding them from your hand, then picking them up a few inches, then finally holding them off the ground.

When they're okay being held, try scooping them up from the front like you might a small chicken, so their breast is cupped in your palm and their legs dangle through your fingers. They should relax if the training stuck (only three of mine let me hold them for more than a minute :lol:).

P4020091.JPG

You'll definitely want to go with a gentle taming method. Grabbing them when they try to escape will only frighten them more and make them think of you as something scary. It'll make handling them stressful for you. If you want them to like you, you have to move slowly, gently, bribe them with treats, and accept that it won't be immediate. Remember- they're a prey animal. They're programmed by nature to be afraid of things that are bigger than them, especially things that try to get them.

X2 those are Coturnix! I am jealous!

Yay! Those look like Coturnix. Quail are so much fun to raise. It's good you're handling them now, they'll be more tame later.
  • 30% protein game bird feed is good for chicks, and 22-26% range is better once they're grown—regular chicken feed doesn't usually have enough protein.
  • Your brooder will need a top/roof—they can be flighty.
  • The males will have reddish breast feathers, where the hens will have speckled. If you have all hens, you'e good to go. More than one male --> will need to cull or re-home extras.
  • What are your plans for housing them? Coturnix can live indoor or outdoor (as long as they have shelter and bedding).
  • If you give them treats like veggies or insects, be sure to give them grit—chick grit is a good size, even for adults.
  • Quail need a dustbath to keep their feathers and skin clean of oil and parasites. Washed play sand works, so does peat moss and wood ash, but you can use dirt from your yard as long as it hasn't been sprayed with garden chemicals.
This is a great site—tons of helpful people here. :) Ask any quail questions in this forum (and post more cute bird pics!).

If you start by hanging your hand inside the brooder for 10-15 minutes, letting them walk around and over it, I find it makes them less afraid of being held later. Then you can move to feeding them from your hand, then picking them up a few inches, then finally holding them off the ground.

When they're okay being held, try scooping them up from the front like you might a small chicken, so their breast is cupped in your palm and their legs dangle through your fingers. They should relax if the training stuck (only three of mine let me hold them for more than a minute :lol:).

View attachment 1733289
Thank you so much for all the tips, my mom and I really appreciate it!! I am being very gentle with them and they actually seem to like me! I walked over to them earlier and they all got up and startedpeepeing at me and jumping! (I hope that’s good)

Back
Top Bottom