New birds, not experienced.

Pics

Rachael<3Chickies

Songster
6 Years
Jun 27, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Hi I'm really upset over a situation I just got myself into. I raised from the egg 6 very healthy, organic fed, nice chickens. 5 turned out to be roo's. ... so. I got three pullets to offset, and one chick because I had a moment of weakness. Well. I put them outside in a separate run in case they're sick and lo and behold they are very sick. Sneezing. Tilting head up sometimes to breathe. One does nothing but sleep. Nothing. The first day it wasn't that bad and I thought man these things are exhausted. The second day my friend brought me corrid. Today, the third day, I'm freaking out bc after researching it seems more respiratory. I will not be taking them out today. They will no longer me allowed out in the same air as my healthy babies. I get now that I shouldn't have allowed them to have the same air to begin with and I feel stupid. Do you think I have infected my whole flock? This would break my heart. I keep them as pets. If these chicks do get better and somehow my flock dodges it, will it matter? In terms of them being carriers and never being able to integrate them? So overwhelmed.

That sounds respiratory .....That spreads easily ....Not all are death sentences...Your going to just have to wait or go to a Vet...Sometimes it can be cleared up with antibiotics but once respiratory issues happen they are carriers for life...Stress brings on symptoms....Just continue to feed the regular feed and fresh water..keep them warm and well ventilated.....
Best wishes......

Thank you. I will most likely being going to the vet bc I care a lot about my flock. Will they ever be able to be integrated once they are carriers?

The thing is your other Birds have been exposed..It carries on your shoes, clothes etc...Unless you preformed total bio security with the New birds it's too late now to worry about introductions...Take the sickest into a Vet and get their opinion...
Best wishes...

Update: I went to the vet.

That's about all I have to update you on. I'm more overwhelmed than before. He gave me antibiotics and a dewormer. Did they have worms? Idk. He doesn't know. Did they have a respiratory disease? He doesn't know. Cocci? Dunno. He gave it to me to "cover all the bases". I said well do you want me to discontinue the corrid? He said yea probably. But earlier when asked if they had cocci he said "I'm not real familiar with cocci in chickens". What? That's a very common thing. How can I trust to take them off that when he doesn't even know about it?

So now I have antibiotics, corrid, dewormer, and some electrolytes. And no clue which to use, but I'm out over a hundred bucks for these poor chickens that someone sold sick. You guys know more than this vet.

Back
Top Bottom