New birds, not experienced.

They have mites. Or lice. Or both I can't tell. They have insects on them. ... glad the vet didn't catch that................ she's pretty young. I don't know how to check for blockages really or eggbound... hats what a vets for...

Sorry for your trouble :hugs
Not all vets treat birds. What is your location? Maybe someone can point you to an Avian Vet.

The mites and lice can be easily treated with a Permethrin spray.
I understand they are sneezing and opening beaks to breathe? And all 3[4/] of them lethargic, with one not moving much at all? Are they eating and drinking? Poop? How old are they?
@Wyorp Rock , @Pyxis , @rebrascora - any thoughts?

Three of them are eating and drinking except one. They are 12-16 weeks. Opening beaks to breathe. I am so sad to say my original flock crows are now interrupted by some kind of cough. Hiccup sneeze thing. ...
Ashland ky. The vet I took to said all creatures vet I didn't imagine it would be so useless.

I just need want my main flock to not get ill or die. I wish I knew what I was dealing with. I thought about going ahead and putting antibiotics in their water but what is it's viral? Should I just watch them and see if they fight it off?

Sorry you're dealing with this, respiratory diseases are no fun.

If you are seeing the bugs on them in the daytime, it's probably lice. Mites live in the coop and get on the birds at night when they are roosting to feed. Permethrin will kill them, but be warned if you have cat it is highly toxic to cats and will kill them. If you have a cat Sevin is your best bet instead. Dust the birds, clean out their coop, and dust their coop, and then repeat again in ten days.

On the respiratory front, what antibiotics did the vet give you? Are you noticing a bad smell coming from the chickens, especially from nasal discharge? If not, then it's probably not coryza and I would lean toward mycoplasma. Mycoplasma can be treated with Tylan 50, which you can get at a feed store. It will be injectable, which means you will need to give them shots. Denagard is also great for mycoplasma, especially since mycoplasma has no resistance to it. That you would probably have to special order though.

If your original birds are now showing signs, then treat them too. Your flock will come through this with treatment, but they will always have it, and they would give it to any new birds they ever come into contact with. As such, you should run a closed flock and never give away or sell any of your birds.

Also, they will have flareups whenever they are stressed, such as going into molt, coming into lay, a sudden cold snap, etc. So you'll want to keep medicine on hand to treat them with when that happens.

Could be something viral, like infectious bronchitis, as well. But you won't know without expensive testing. In this case, since they're pets, better to just treat it as if it was a bacterial thing and see what happens, rather than let it go and just hope it passes on its own.

Jeepers, you really got blasted with it didn't you?! I would: stop Corid (unless you are seeing symptoms of cocci and it doesn't seem you are dealing with that) switch to an antibiotic for respiratory infection, worm them and dust them and the coop for mites/lice and hope for the best. I don't take my chickens to the vet for just the reason you ran into, they usually have no idea how to treat chickens and you can get better advice from experienced chicken owners.

"SMZ TMP 240mg liquid per cc"

I was gonna give away two roos end of month and I got these hens to start boosting up my ratio. I hatched 6 and got 5 roos. Can't really have a closed flock. Plus these are my first chickens and I'm 26 and will likely have chickens the rest of my life. I was so dumb about buying these hens from a flea market.

These things were SO healthy before this disaster. I mean all organic food from the egg, never sick in their life's. Huge energetic. I can't believe I did this to them. I'm so disappointed by how most people care so little for chickens and then sell them.

Back
Top Bottom