New Blue Laced Red Wyandotte Flock

Mrs. Turbo I had looked at Paul's SLW but I really like yours better. We had hatchery stock many years ago but bought some from a local gentleman that had gotte some from you a while ago. The only problem were they ended up being older than I had thought at that time and never got an egg lol. The things you go trough with birds lol. Of course this was abou 5 years ago. Will let you know on the 12 though. Right now I have to build a new pen for the following breeds im raising (blue wheaten ameracauna, Sid Taylor gamefowl, Pure Gabbard gamefowl, welsummers, and some guineas). So to say the least im swamped with what I have but when I get them I will get the silvers from you. Believe it or not the blue laced reds, and the silvers are the only 2 I like in the wyandottes
big_smile.png

Brandon

If the comment about non-typey birds was directed at me - The birds I had were some of the very first BLRW available if I remember correctly. Back when six eggs on eggbid would go for over $54 dollars and when Penedesenca trios were going for well over $600 I believe that was around 2003/04. Been a while. So there wasn't much to work with. I had them around a year so I didn't get to work much on improving type and there wasn't much to work with type wise at that point.
wink.png

Speckledhen - Thank you very much for the compliment. She was one of the best hens I had.

The splashes always look kind of washed out compared to the blues, but a yard of all three colors is very pretty. Especially when they are out on green grass.

Quote:
I figured he was talking about my hen....since a lot of people get my name wrong. It's Katy, not Kathy
roll.png

I breed and cull for both color and type. I think I actually have better type on some of my splashes....I posted her picture because I love her blue color and we were discussing color. It's an on-going process, and one that will probably still be going after I'm too old to keep my flocks any longer.

Well your birds are gorgeous Katy. And if I ever live somewhere in the near future where I can have chickens again I would love to get started with some of your stock.

Quote:
LOL....thanks Brandon. I appreciate that, but I think we both have nice stock. I am starting to collect the Wyandotte bantams.....so cute and very easy for our kids to show, instead of the big Wyandottes like their daddy.

My daughter likes the Silkies and I am trying to learn about them. I hate helping her wash them for shows, but she loves it.

Katy...... you wouldn't be the same Katy if you were named Kathy...... I like the name Katy. Too bad this baby is a boy.

No I never had them at the same time. I was wanting the silvers to put in a seperate pen. Somewhere I read in another forum site of someone crossing the two though. The offspring were gorgeous but we wouldn't personally cross the two.

Brandon

Quote:
New to breeding here and I had heard of "breeding back" to a slightly different version (think it was with Sussex) to get better color down the line (not with BLRW's) and was wondering about it. I have some BLRW that are 4 and 5 weeks old. Still waiting to see what sex they are!

Back
Top Bottom