new born chick cries all the time and is pooping clear liquid and poo

izzyschickiess

Chirping
Sep 2, 2021
hi there this chick hatched yesterday, and has cried ever since even in her sleep. she has pooped a huge amount of clear discharge not a thin as water, i was wondering if this is normal as i didnt see any of the other chicks pooping like that
any advice welcome!!!

hi there this chick hatched yesterday, and has cried ever since even in her sleep. she has pooped a huge amount of clear discharge not a thin as water, i was wondering if this is normal as i didnt see any of the other chicks pooping like that
any advice welcome!!!
Can you please post some photos of the chick and your brooder set-up?
How warm is the brooder - on the warm side and on the cool side?
Can the chick walk, eat and drink on it's own?

Crying all the time, she's unhappy for sure. I would give her 1-2 drops of Poultry Nutri-Drench twice a day to see if that gives her a boost.

Is it eating?
the chick was in the incubator when it was crying it has since reduced after being moved into the brooder the brooder is 35-37 degrees Celsius and the chicks are all active eating and drinking, that chick has down stuck together under its butt but not much, still unsure of why it was pooping clear sticky liquid 🤷‍♀️
but she seems to have mellowed out, they have apple cider vinegar in their water for immunity and such and i have introduced her to the waterer

do you have any idea why she had clear discharge? is that normal? ive never seen a new born chick poop before.

First poops from newly hatched chicks are usually dark green, and is the waste from when they were in the egg. Sometimes after they hatch you'll see some light green "poop" inside the egg as well, especially if they are late hatchers, but the first poops after they hatch are ALWAYS dark green. I've seen clear poops only with chicks that have gotten into something they shouldn't have - i.e. eaten something that wasn't starter, and didn't have grit, meaning that whatever they ate couldn't be digested properly, but this is older chicks, a week or so old. Crying is definitely a sign they're uncomfortable, cold, or otherwise unhappy...keep us updated!

First poops from newly hatched chicks are usually dark green, and is the waste from when they were in the egg. Sometimes after they hatch you'll see some light green "poop" inside the egg as well, especially if they are late hatchers, but the first poops after they hatch are ALWAYS dark green. I've seen clear poops only with chicks that have gotten into something they shouldn't have - i.e. eaten something that wasn't starter, and didn't have grit, meaning that whatever they ate couldn't be digested properly, but this is older chicks, a week or so old. Crying is definitely a sign they're uncomfortable, cold, or otherwise unhappy...keep us updated!
it had normal green poop too thats what came out first then it was followed by a long clear "thread" of liquid after. the chick has stopped crying now since she joined her siblings i think she must have just been lonely :idunno
thanks for your help :)

Back
Top Bottom