New Brahma Group: Blue Partridge x Partridge, Plus Dark

Pics
LOL...those bad little boys...they are too cute! Your path looks great! Great work on the curve of it!
Thanks, they are terrors, or one is, for sure.

I'm not fond at all of recessive whites. I had to get rid of 2 entire breeding groups of birds, in 2 different breeds, to get rid of it.
I was thinking it was a PITA gene. I mean unless you're not really breeding to a standard, what the heck do you do with a male who shows up like that? And you don't know if it's in the other siblings, either.

Oh, Bash encountered one of the Belgian D'Anvers this morning, the Big and the Small of it, LOL. It was an accidental pen escape for the D'anvers. Spike was all over Bash, bouncing up and down and over and on him. Poor Bash! Those little roosters are so darn agile and dumb as they can be. Spike has that spur-less gene, so no chance of Bash getting one in the eye. DH got them separated fast.

Last edited:
The 4 week olds today. The feathers on the fat splash-maybe-light-blue partridge chick are coming in more white than blue on the chest, with the usual orange of a male, of course. Tried to get a picture when they were eating eggs and yogurt, but not sure I succeeded very well. From having BBS in three different breeds in the past, I realize blue can be super light to almost black so just waiting for him to get more feathered out so I can better tell what he is. He's probably the largest chick of them all, though.
@katsdar check out the crew! It looks like three straight partridge of each sex and one blue partridge of each (or the male may be splash, not quite sure yet).

DSC04568.JPG
DSC04569.JPG
DSC04571.JPG
DSC04572.JPG
DSC04574.JPG
DSC04575.JPG
DSC04577.JPG
DSC04578.JPG

Now that he's feathering more, @anac1979 and @Sjisty do you think this is just a very light blue partridge? His feathers are almost white, so not really sure. Was thinking splash, now I just don't know. The other blue pt. males have been much, much darker than this. They are 6 wks 3 days old now. @katsdar if I was in the market for another Brahma rooster, that light boy would be staying! He's gorgeous now so I know he'll be a stunner later.

DSC04594.JPG
DSC04595.JPG
DSC04596.JPG
DSC04600.JPG

And one of the pullets and other cockerels. I'm sure there are four of each sex now, six of those are straight partridge.

DSC04602.JPG
DSC04597.JPG

And new pics of the eight 5-week-olds today. I am loving the very light cockerel right now.
DSC04629.JPG
DSC04622.JPG
DSC04624.JPG
DSC04625.JPG
DSC04626.JPG

@katsdar check out the kids! Brandy is still being mama, but she is reaching the end of her apron strings, surely. Won't be long now. I'd say in another week, she will be leaving them behind.

Sounds like a plan, Mary. I just have to decide if I trust it enough to drive it a few more months. I've heard stories of folks having that trans replaced and having to do it all over again in two years, and of course, no warranty would be on it at that time.
Aren't the chicks adorable? I really love my Brahmas. Their new mama is coming to get them the weekend of the 15th so they'll have enough time to get used to being without Brandy before they get snatched away to a new home.

Back
Top Bottom