New Brahma Group: Blue Partridge x Partridge, Plus Dark

Pics
I am hatching out some BBS partridge Brahmas and I was wondering if you could tell me how the chicks color out as hatchlings. I have one newly hatched this morning who is pale yellow. Would she perhaps be blue or splash or impossible to tell so early? Thanks.

I am hatching out some BBS partridge Brahmas and I was wondering if you could tell me how the chicks color out as hatchlings. I have one newly hatched this morning who is pale yellow. Would she perhaps be blue or splash or impossible to tell so early? Thanks.

Pale yellow? No markings? I have never had a splash here so I can't say exactly what one will look like as newly hatched, but here were mine at hatch. I had only partridge, blue partridge and one dark brahma. No yellow chicks at all.

Do you know what color the parent birds were?

x2 If there were blue x blue, you could have splash. If for example, there was a partridge rooster over blue hens, there could not be splash. But, you said yellow chick, so do you mean with or without stripes on it? Would like to see a picture of it.

Bonnie is full-on broody. Since she was guarding one of the two nests and three others were crammed into the second one, I decided to take her out and give her eggs. Yes, I did. She has five Barred Rocks and four Brahma eggs. (Mary, Hector will be a dad if these make it through-three of the BRs are Jill's).

Last edited:
pop.gif

Thanks
x2 If there were blue x blue, you could have splash. If for example, there was a partridge rooster over blue hens, there could not be splash. But, you said yellow chick, so do you mean with or without stripes on it? Would like to see a picture of it.

Bonnie is full-on broody. Since she was guarding one of the two nests and three others were crammed into the second one, I decided to take her out and give her eggs. Yes, I did. She has five Barred Rocks and four Brahma eggs. (Mary, Hector will be a dad if these make it through-three of the BRs are Jill's).
Ok here is the chick. Hatched some time in the small hours this morning. I have no idea of the exact parents she is from Papas Poultry in Redding Ca. They have pics. (obviously) of their partridge brahmas but they dont specify who is who.
I am fascinated by the idea that the chick should have some other coloring on her. I am hatching these because I love brahmas and I love the partridge look. This one, unfortunately, was the only one that hatched due to a miserable, lousy, ****** incubator. Any thoughts?

Pale yellow? No markings? I have never had a splash here so I can't say exactly what one will look like as newly hatched, but here were mine at hatch. I had only partridge, blue partridge and one dark brahma. No yellow chicks at all.

Gorgeous chicks. I have another 10 in my new incubator just set today and also from Papas Poultry so it will be interesting to see who pops out in 21 days.

Thanks
Ok here is the chick. Hatched some time in the small hours this morning. I have no idea of the exact parents she is from Papas Poultry in Redding Ca. They have pics. (obviously) of their partridge brahmas but they dont specify who is who.
I am fascinated by the idea that the chick should have some other coloring on her. I am hatching these because I love brahmas and I love the partridge look. This one, unfortunately, was the only one that hatched due to a miserable, lousy, ****** incubator. Any thoughts?

Hmm, well, doesn't look like any partridge chick I've ever seen. Even the splash should have some color on it because it has the partridge pattern and where a blue is blue, a partridge would be pearly white. My friend Ellie lives near Redding and visited Papa's Poultry to get some Orpington eggs for a broody hen. It was an interesting visit, to say the least. You would be a little taken aback if you saw the actual place. It's, well, not what she expected. Now, to be fair, I've never seen a splash partridge chick, only the older birds, but that is most definitely not a blue.

These are blue and splash bantam Cochin chicks I hatched a few years ago. The dark one is blue, the rest were all splash chicks, you can see there was quite a bit of variation in their color.

I am personally not overly fond of splash, but the can be quite pretty.

Hmm, well, doesn't look like any partridge chick I've ever seen. Even the splash should have some color on it because it has the partridge pattern and where a blue is blue, a partridge would be pearly white. My friend Ellie lives near Redding and visited Papa's Poultry to get some Orpington eggs for a broody hen. It was an interesting visit, to say the least. You would be a little taken aback if you saw the actual place. It's, well, not what she expected. Now, to be fair, I've never seen a splash partridge chick, only the older birds, but that is most definitely not a blue.
Well, phooey!! I so dislike being fooled... I will withhold judgement until my next batch hatches. I purchased another batch of eggs from them that are now in the NEW incubator. I ordered 4 BBS partridge eggs and got 10, 4 Crested Cream Legbar and got 5, 4 BBS blue laced Wyandottes and got 6, so they are quite generous with their eggs but I am distressed that the facility is less than excellent. Please elaborate on your friends experience if you feel like spending the time. This is my second time using them and they are close (reasonably, I am in S. Oregon) and the shipping takes overnight. I have been very well pleased with the packaging and the condition of the eggs seems to be pretty good. None too porous. Anyway, we will see how this little chick develops. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom