New Brahma Group: Blue Partridge x Partridge, Plus Dark

Pics
#1 looks like a pullet. #2 & #3 seem to be male. Not sure about #4, but leaning toward male. The thing is, some pullets that I have here appear to carry a mahogany gene so they come out slightly more reddish than normal, but they have patterning in each feather. I thought my Betsy was a male for a long time, so you see, I can't be 100% sure on that last one.

You have the chicks in front of you and you can see patterns or solid feathers in person better than it can show in the picture, since they are not fully feathered yet.

#1 looks like a pullet. #2 & #3 seem to be male. Not sure about #4, but leaning toward male. The thing is, some pullets that I have here appear to carry a mahogany gene so they come out slightly more reddish than normal, but they have patterning in each feather. I thought my Betsy was a male for a long time, so you see, I can't be 100% sure on that last one.

You have the chicks in front of you and you can see patterns or solid feathers in person better than it can show in the picture, since they are not fully feathered yet.

Glad to hear we're on the same page. Even though # 1 is the biggest one and has a hint of a comb, I think it's a pullet. #4 was my questionable one. I do think 2 and 3 are roos. I'm happy if 1 is a pullet. I plan to keep 1 roo. Which one, 2 or 3 should I keep?

The one you're calling Splash looks like a Blue to me.

Does it? I had that thought a few times as the feathers showed more. I've never had a blue this light, but I was seeing the bluish tones in there, so you could be right about that. If it's a blue, it's super light!

@chickiesmommy , it's too early for me to say which one you should keep. You'd want one with the least amount of red in the chest, I think--they will change a LOT as they grow and molt out baby feathers. If you have to choose very early on, I'd pick one with the best foot feathering, but you cannot really make a good determination this early about a keeper cockerel.

Those little boys are battling it out today! Two of the larger males are really picking on the smallest one. The biggest one, the one that may be splash/may be light blue is not part of the crazy sparring and screaming. That is one huge chick, too! Those three males have been fighting, squealing and screaming all morning long. At this rate, Brandy is going to lose her patience fast!

BTW, the chest feathers that have come in on that chick so far look white and orange. Time will tell!

So here is a pic. of my 'partridge' brahma from Papas Poultry. I am assuming that he is a he judging by the stance and the pink comb and wattles. Is this rare? Were both parents carrying a recessive white gene or something? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
IMG_7948.JPG

So here is a pic. of my 'partridge' brahma from Papas Poultry. I am assuming that he is a he judging by the stance and the pink comb and wattles. Is this rare? Were both parents carrying a recessive white gene or something? Any thoughts would be appreciated.View attachment 1053730

Yeah, not very "partridge" is he? I'm not sure about the recessive white gene thing, but it's possible. I'm not well versed on recessive white. Genes are gremlins, you know. Sort of a cool thing, but do you have any use for him, coming out this way?

Back
Top Bottom