New Chick Help

Well, if they are 7-8 days old, maybe they are just more low energy. If they're eating and drinking, and if their poops are ok and no pasty butt, maybe they're just fine. If it was illness or failure to thrive, I'd think you probably would have experienced loss or would have seen additional symptoms. And the pecking is pretty normal unless one is getting ganged up on or there are injuries.

It's still early in the game. I'm sure it will be fine. Once they are outside, I'm sure they will become those delightful little fluffballs you remember from your childhood! You got this!

Yeah, the side with the feed has the light. The side with the water is out of the light. It seems that it is two of the Orpington chicks are pecking the Leghorn chicks - all 3 of them. They get pushy and push them out of the food, then peck them on their sides or butts. I saw one of them peck the other on his neck. I am going to try adding some protein as I saw they might be low on it. Going to add a couple rocks they can climb and see what happens. I saw a vicks debate on this site with people weighing in on both sides. I know it would wear off and I don't want to have to keep applying something that might be hazardous to their health. So, if protein and toys don't work, I'm left with either trading the two little peckers in or separating them. But, by separating them, when I put them back, wouldn't the pecking just resume? I really like have the two different breeds so I really don't want to have to give back all of them for a one breed family.

Are there room for the little boogers to get away from the heat source? Can't tell from that pic. I was thinking maybe they are getting too warm and it's zapping away their energy or something. But when my chickens were newly hatched, they were a lazy bunch and would always take naps throughout the whole day on and off so I wouldn't fret.

I wouldn't worry too much about the pecking so long as it doesn't get outta hand.... like actually cause injuries. Chicks are just curious about the new world and the way they know how to observe is through pecking, mine did it for a few days but after awhile they stopped. Pecking is normal behavior, that's how they establish a 'pecking order'.

Welcome to the BYC forum :welcome

It looks like you are doing everything right. I would not worry about the heat lamp. I have used heat lamps in my brooder for 30 years without incident. I think some people have a problem if the heat lamp falls down into the litter and starts a fire. From your pictures, it appears that your heat lamp is above a wire mesh screen on the brooder. So, if the lamp should fall, it would only fall on the screen. I always use 2 methods of securing the heat lamp, like a chain and a clamp. Never had a problem.

Also, baby chicks sleep a lot. That is normal. When they make lots of noise, I have been told that is a sign of lacking something, usually heat. So when nice and warm, they settle down and sleep a lot.

Chicks are going to peck. Unless you see blood, I would not worry. At 1 week old, they are more curious about other chicks than trying to hurt one another. Mostly, they prefer to cuddle up with one another to keep each company and keep warm. But different chicks have their own personality, even at a very young age. Sounds like you are off to a great start.

Please keep thread updated on your progress. Love to follow your progress.

Thank you for the support. My parents used heat lamps when I was kid and we were raising chickens too, along with every other common farm animal back then.

Welcome to the BYC forum :welcome

It looks like you are doing everything right. I would not worry about the heat lamp.
Please keep thread updated on your progress. Love to follow your progress.

Hi Everyone,
Just an update as promised. I added a little protien to their diet and they seem to be happy little chickies for now. I added a couple rocks to the cage and a stick for them to roost on if so desired, and a couple times I've caught a baby using it to climb. I have been taking them out to a little pen I made of cardboard boxes to enjoy the grass outside when its been nice. Overall, they seem happy and healthy. I still have the issue of two of the Orpingtons pecking at everyone else, and I really don't know what else to do about it. I got some of the Peck-No-More stuff from TSC but the little birds clean it off themselves and when they have it on, the peckers just peck the others below the wings on the body. I really don't want to coat them all over in the stuff, so I guess I'll just keep a watch on it and make sure nobody begins to bleed or if they seem to be losing all their feathers, I'll have to see what I can do to stop them. Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

Back
Top Bottom