New chick owner and very confused

When researching everything said that cardboard and a heat lamp is a no go...but everything I’ve learned today has kind of undone what is researched anyways. 😂 what’s the safest set up for cardboard and a heat lamp?

Make sure to have the lamp VERY well secured - do not rely on the clamp. Most lamps have a hanging loop on the back and that should be used. Some people even use the cord to help with that as well.

Also as I mentioned, a lower wattage bulb simply burns less hot, so slightly less risk if it shatters and lands on shavings or cardboard.

You could double the size of your brooder by getting another dog crate and setting them end-to-end, with the doors open. Or side-by-side for the two door style. (I always have a use for dog crates, so getting another one doesn't seem like a waste to me!)

I used sheets of cardboard to line my dog crate/brooder so that the chicks couldn't get out between the bars. I had one of those big 250 watt heat lamps and as I needed to lower the temp, I raised it. Eventually it was chained/clamped/tied to my husband's camera tripod, so raising it was easy.

One thing about dog crates is there is a built in top on it. No need to worry about the flufferbums fluttering out. The bars are also handy for hanging stuff from, or sliding a stick/pole across as a roost.

Also... if you have any questions, just ask! We were all new to raising chicks at one time, so we all went through what you're going through. And people here know a lot and are nice!

And we have great emojis, too. :wee :thumbsup :celebrate:welcome

Those photos do not show them being overheated. If they are too cold they get as close to the heat source as they can. If they are too hot they line the far wall, getting as far from the heat as they can. Those are doing neither. Cuddling when sleeping is normal, they like the company. It does not mean they are cold. Thermometers can help the confidence of someone just starting out, they can be a good tool. But I go more by what the chicks are telling me than by any thermometer.

Where is that brooder, in the house in a controlled climate or somewhere you can have large temperature swings. To me the ideal brooder needs a spot warm enough in the coolest temperatures and cool enough in the warmest temperatures. In a climate controlled area that isn't hard to do. Outside it can be more challenging.

I counted at least a dozen chicks. How big is that brooder? They may outgrow it before too long.

I brood outside in my coop in a 3' x 6' brooder. I use a heat lamp like people have been using for over 100 years. I can't see how yours is supported. My suggestion is to not use that clamp that comes with it at all. Use wire or small chain to securely keep it in place. Don't use string or plastic that can burn or melt, use something really secure like wire or chain. That should eliminate most of the risk in using a heat lamp. I don't have anything against heat plates or heating pads either if they are set up correctly. Using them properly will eliminate practically al the risks from them too.

I sometimes brood chicks when it is below freezing. I keep one end of the brooder toasty warm but sometimes the far end of the brooder has ice in it. In summer the problem is reversed, a little heat can go a long way so the chicks spend most of their time in the cool end. I find that chicks straight out of the incubator or from the post office can handle finding a comfortable spot very well when given the option.

thanks for your reply! Very informative. The brooder is in our sunroom, which we’ve been keeping warm. They seem happier now that I’ve taken one of the heat lamps away. Peeping quietly, running to and fro and eating and drinking well. I have included a picture of my set up. The hatchery I ordered from definitely sent us some bonus chickens. There are more than we thought. How quickly will they outgrown this set up? We have other ideas and options if needed.
72C63035-1F49-43A0-B2D2-7874D20658DF.jpeg
CFAB0181-B028-48C2-8DA9-95BA750F5834.jpeg

Fast! I'd say you've got less than two weeks before they are squished in there. I didn't realize you had two heat lamps going so it makes sense they were a little too toasty! I'm glad they are peeping and content now.

oh dear that’s much sooner than I thought it’d be...the coop will definitely be too cold for them and I’m not sure we can run electric out there. I saw in a different thread someone posted that they connected two totes so the chicks have more room. Will that still be too little space?

How far is it?
I use a 100' heavy duty outdoor rate extension cord plugged into a GFCI outlet.

Oh, and..... Welcome to BYC! @Ann Perkhens (Perk Hens-haha!)
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2489580
Hi Aart! Location added. We just moved to an area we’ve learned is called the Snow Belt. Lots of snow. Very, very cold.

I’m not sure how far back it is, honestly, but my husband is building us a different coop as it was an existing structure on the property and it does not fit a lot of chicken needs, but we thought it’d die in the interim. But if they’re still needing heat...I’m not sure we’d be able to do that....

Last edited:
Sooner than you think.
Do you have a coop ready......other birds?

Best to keep the room as cool as possible.

No other birds. We have a small building on our new property that will work, but my hubby is building them a different coop for their long-term residence as it’s not really functional long term (no nesting boxes, roosts, and the like).

why keep the room cool? For air flow?

Easiest way to reduce heat with a heat lamp set up is lower wattage bulbs. That cage really is too small to provide both a hot and cold zone. Ideally the cooler end should be lower than the hot end by 10 degrees, or even more.

I saw in a different thread someone posted that they connected two totes so the chicks have more room. Will that still be too little space?

How big are the totes?

By 4 weeks you'd want to have minimum roughly 1 sq ft of space per bird, by 8 weeks minimum 2 sq ft per bird (though they should be moved out by then).

You may find it easier to switching to very large cardboard boxes, like appliance boxes or melon bins. Or you can possibly tape together smaller boxes like moving boxes.

Easiest way to reduce heat with a heat lamp set up is lower wattage bulbs. That cage really is too small to provide both a hot and cold zone. Ideally the cooler end should be lower than the hot end by 10 degrees, or even more.

How big are the totes?

By 4 weeks you'd want to have minimum roughly 1 sq ft of space per bird, by 8 weeks minimum 2 sq ft per bird (though they should be moved out by then).

You may find it easier to switching to very large cardboard boxes, like appliance boxes or melon bins. Or you can possibly tape together smaller boxes like moving boxes.

the totes would not be big enough then. I have boxes that would work though. When researching everything said that cardboard and a heat lamp is a no go...but everything I’ve learned today has kind of undone what is researched anyways. 😂 what’s the safest set up for cardboard and a heat lamp?

Back
Top Bottom