New chicken mum from Australia

My flock is going great. Apart from one bird that had to be put down due to basically being old and sick (that was a post I put on this site originally which everyone was so helpful with) but other than the being thrown in the deep end in my first two weeks of having chickens everything has settled down a little and maintaining the flock is becoming easy, enjoyable and doable thanks to everyone's advice!
I'm Sorry to hear you had to put her down:hit.

Hey guys,
I'm brand new to having chickens. I got 3 silkies from a friend recently. And I have 2-4 neighbours standard chickens in my yard most days, and I will be adopting them soon once I'm all set up.

I live in Adelaide, Australia so we can have some extreme temperatures here and have found this site exceptionally useful during this learning curve.

I also have hundreds of other birds (sparrows, pigeons, Rosella, and heaps more) visit my yard every day so I'm trying to find a nice balance between supporting local wildlife birds whilst also putting the chickens priories first.

I am open to any advice people are willing to give. And thanks for taking the time to read this.

Schmay

Hi Schmay! I'm from Adelaide too :)

48421209_10211783205839665_3693380237690667008_n.jpg Aussie, Aussie, Aussie; Oi, Oi, Oi! Only I'm @ the other end of the country. We are semi rural & also get the silly wildlife. I keep my birdbaths away from my chickens though.

Welcome! Chickens are so fun to have! We also have wild birds visit our yard that love eating my girls scratch. For the most part my girls forage with them but occasionally my girls will spend their day chasing them and making sure they can’t roam. Maybe my girls are just territorial but just a heads up!

Back
Top Bottom