New chicken smells

Fancypants1

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 2, 2014
Central Massachusetts
I just bought a pullet from a poultry show and when we got her home I noticed that she has a funky smell to her, not sure how to describe the smell. It is kind of a musty smell. She is eating and otherwise looks ok. Any thoughts on what I should check on her to make sure she is not sick? Does anyone Have pictures of mites, or could it be mites? How do you bathe a chicken? Should I start there? She is isolated from my other girls since they went right after her when I put her in the run. How long should I keep her isolated and what is the best way to introduce a new girl to the rest of the flock. I think she is about 5-6 months, the guy said she is not laying yet. She is a golden laced Wyandotte.

Be sure and keep her in quarantine for 4-6weeks in case she is a carrier for disease. Look for lice and mites, treat for worms, check her crop to make sure it is emptying by morning, check her droppings, notice if there are any nasal or eye secretions. She could smell musty from her bedding or how she was kept, but keep an eye and a nose on her.

The crop is where food is stored and becomes moist after eating before it passes on through the gastrointestinal tract. It is located in the right upper chest under the neck. It should feel full in the evening after the chicken eats all day, then it should empty by morning. If it does not empty, and it feels full and hard, it could be an impacted crop with something stuck inside, usually long grasses or something that won't pass. If the crop is full and squishy, it could be a sour crop especially if there is a sour smell around the face. Here is a link about this: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-impacted.html

chicken-internal-anatomy.jpg

Thank you that is awesome information. I will feel her chest in the morning. She has been at a poultry show so I am not sure how much she got to eat today. I did give her some scratch before bed. I just can't describe the smell she has. It's not a horrible smell like rotten food or stinky feet and I still can smell it on my clothes. I did notice that she opened her mouth and swallowed alot while I was watching her.

if her crop is not hard in the morning should i give her a bath and see if that helps? I would not even know where to begin on bathing a chicken LOL. I smelt it really bad when she flew off her roost, so I will check under her wings for mites or lice in the morning.

I would be cautious about bathing in such cold weather. If you do chose to bathe her, I would bring her in the heated house and use a blow dryer, while keeping her inside until the next day.

I do have her in the basement in a 6 foot wide children's play-yard with hay and a trap on the floor. I will see how she is in the AM. Thanks again for all the great replies!

I have a chicken (Golden Silky) that smelled funny when I first got her-- kind of a musty smell like you describe. I thought it might have been the mite dust they put on her when I bought her, but the smell has stayed and it's been many months. She's healthy, but her eggs also taste terrible. Only the dog will eat them. She's not the cleanest chicken. For some reason whenever she drinks, the puff on top of her head gets wet and then it gets' caked with dirt and she has as stiff spiky hairdo. I wash her "puff" now and then and blow it dry and it gets dirty again right away. I can't understand how her's gets so filthy, but our pure white silky looks like a fluffy white bunny all the time. I kiss her she looks so clean (maybe not the best idea, but I can't resist)!

Back
Top Bottom