New chickens sick don't want to spread to my flock

Ok so
You did good keeping the new birds separated from your flock. Not familiar with Pestene Powder nor Pink Powder. So much for being an "organic" farm. You could find out if he'd take them back, at least the sick one.

See you're in Canada? Do you all have Permethrin 10 at the feed store or a garden store? Garden & Poultry Dust or anything with Permethrin as the active ingredient that would work for the mites/lice. Follow or ask the directions for mixing, can't think of the dose, spraying at night when they are on the roost is the easiest to do. Some still use Sevin Dust in the past although not recommended now day (?)

Nutri Drench is a vitamin/electrolytes to help build their stamina. What are you feeding? Extra protein would also help while they are on the mend. As for the one that's hunched over, are there other symptoms?
the pesterene powder is for the mites and pink powder is for all the nutrients etc

Chickens should keep external parasites in check when they have access to dust baths but if they are under stress then they are more prone to an infestation. 'Organic' doesn't mean set them free to fend for themselves and take no interest in their well being! That's disgusting treatment of the poor birds. :mad:

If you can get some Vetafarm Avian Insect Liquidator - get the concentrate and make up your own spray. It's expensive but it works well. It kills lice and mites in ornamental birds and gives up to 6 weeks protection but I would use it every 10 days for a total of 3 treatments to ensure you've broken the lifecycle of the lice/mites. It's safe to use on newly hatched finch chicks and the only time you don't use it on chickens is if you are intending to eat them. It can also be sprayed around their living quarters.

I sure hope you can get the poor things right. Sounds like they are lucky to have found you! They will take awhile to grow back their feathers and the one that is lethargic may need antibiotics as it's not good that she hasn't perked up. Give them all some tinned salmon or tuna or my Mum found this Sick Chook Diet:

1/2-1 cooked egg yolk crumbled
1 tsp cod liver oil
2 Tbsp unsweetened yoghurt
2-4 Tbsp rolled oats or baby rice
1 dessert spoon Beef CAT (not dog) tinned food
a pinch of multivitamin powder
2 Tbsp grated apple

Mix to make a crumbly mixture - it shouldn't be runny.

Back
Top Bottom