New chicks arriving tomorrow! Super excited!

I'm really sorry to hear about your chicks, it's heartbreaking to go through. I had an order ship from McMurray last year, and only 2 survived out of 30. I've never been so distraught having chick after chick die in my hands. McMurray did reship my whole order, and the second time I "only" lost about 6. I think shipping during cold weather is just so tough on them. Big reason I made my next McMurray order to be delivered in March.

I'm sorry for your loss :(

Thanks everyone,

I spoke to McMurry today and they were great They will reship my order for what I have lost in this upcoming Saturday shipment if I want them that soon. They told me to contact them tomorrow for a final count because they have a 48 hour guaranty "after arrival". Death toll is 15 and there are 3 that I don't think will make it through tonight.

I've had good luck shipping in the winter before, but this was also the first batch of the season, so maybe the machines at the hatchery aren't warmed up yet. Or maybe I just had some bad luck.

Stay warm,

Kristen

Thanks everyone,

I spoke to McMurry today and they were great They will reship my order for what I have lost in this upcoming Saturday shipment if I want them that soon. They told me to contact them tomorrow for a final count because they have a 48 hour guaranty "after arrival". Death toll is 15 and there are 3 that I don't think will make it through tonight.

I've had good luck shipping in the winter before, but this was also the first batch of the season, so maybe the machines at the hatchery aren't warmed up yet. Or maybe I just had some bad luck.

Stay warm,

Kristen
i do not think you will have any trouble mixing the two flocks, those two dates are very close together and the size of the birds are similar

* Update *

I sent photos to McMurray so they could ID the breeds and they are sending me 21 new chick replacements. The remaining chicks are alert and doing well. Like people have written, a week is probably fine to mix them together. Here goes nothing...

OK - batch #2 arrives on Monday, wish me luck!

~Kristen

* Update *

I sent photos to McMurray so they could ID the breeds and they are sending me 21 new chick replacements. The remaining chicks are alert and doing well. Like people have written, a week is probably fine to mix them together. Here goes nothing...

OK - batch #2 arrives on Monday, wish me luck!

~Kristen

I hope it goes well for you! Was McMurray expensive? It has always appealed to me to buy some chicks from a hatchery!

Hi David,

Thanks for the well wishes!

What I like about the hatcheries is that I can find a good assortment in one order, and that is convenient for me. I was looking for some heritage breeds specifically, and they are harder to come by where I live. Also, I wanted them to be delivered in January, and none of the grain stores or farms near me have anything available until March. Also, many of the grain and feed stores order from hatcheries too. I found one place in NH (Dodge Grain) that buys from a local farmer (!) but also buys from a hatchery.

Given my recent experience in this thread, I can't say enough about McMurray and their customer service. I don't know if things would have gone as smoothly with my local grain store.

I am not showing these girls, just looking for the egg production, and my own backyard enjoyment.

Having said that, I know many people have strong feelings against the hatcheries.

I have ordered many times from hatcheries and have been really pleased.

I hope that helps!

Good luck on your chicks may they be happy and healthy. I can't wait for new chicks but because of our weather here I will be waiting until May to hatch. I just have to stay out of TSC until after chick days are over.
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom