New chicks...one has no eyes...horrific

Sorry it took me some time to get photos dloaded. Brace yourselves. She's a week old and has not grown. She's half the size as the others and we try to feed her with a dropper. Not good There is no discharge or signs of trauma. She was hatched this way. The wet-looking substance is antibiotic ointment we have been trying on the off chance it's an infection of some sort.
I agree, this chick is severely deformed. Humane thing to do would be to cull, sadly.

Well the hatchery finally got back to me a week later. They apoogized profusely when they saw the photos. They said quality control dropped the ball (3 times apparently). I mustered the grim resolve to take Pip out of her pain and when I went to get her, she had already passed away naturally. It was a sad reflief. I made her a respectable grave site and cross with her name on it. I know...ridiculous. It's a chicken. But I respect all life and see God in all things. Farewell Pip. You fought a valiant fight.

Well the hatchery finally got back to me a week later. They apoogized profusely when they saw the photos. They said quality control dropped the ball (3 times apparently). I mustered the grim resolve to take Pip out of her pain and when I went to get her, she had already passed away naturally. It was a sad reflief. I made her a respectable grave site and cross with her name on it. I know...ridiculous. It's a chicken. But I respect all life and see God in all things. Farewell Pip. You fought a valiant fight.
:hugs

:hugs I
I'm sorry for your loss...

Never tried culling a chick however I do wrap chicks in a towel or cloth to keep them warm and I just let them die naturally from weakness or disease their head is out for breathing.

Sorry but I'll be the meany. You let the animal suffer because it makes you feel better because you wrapped it in a warm towel? Guess I'm just an A-hole because I had to grow up raising cattle and putting them down when they needed it. A towel don't work on animals you cant hold down and it don't work on the ones you can. End of the day you were dying and suffering would you want a towel put on you or you want to just be put out of your pain?
Animal husbandry means you give that animal the best life they can live. Some animals live years and it's your job to make sure they are happy. Some don't and it's your job to put them down cleanly without suffering. You might suffer because of it but you done the best thing for that animal. You signed up for that job when you decided to own and raise any animal.

Thank you, Sir, for your service to our country, and thank you for your service to poor little broken Pip. Thank you for caring for this helpless creature the best you could. Thank you for coming here and seeking advice and support for Pip and for yourself in this difficult situation. Thank you for the compassion you've shown toward everyone involved, including your wife. Thank you for naming this critter who had no possibility of a future, and thank you for making for her a sweet little resting place to honor her. Nothing about what you have done here is ridiculous. She was not "just a chicken." She was a living creature, in pain and in need. You showed compassion, tenderness, care, and loving kindness. We need more of that in our lives and in this world. We need to remember: "as you have done unto the least of these, you have done it unto Me." You have represented God in your actions and He will surely honor you. Bless you, and once again - thank you.

Back
Top Bottom