New Chicks Pasting Up

sexysisam

Hatching
9 Years
May 12, 2010
I'm new to the boards, but have been lurking for about a year. I have 3 Buff Orpington hens and one went broody a month ago, so I stuck 8 fertile eggs under her and they hatched out Sat/Sun/Mon (so just a few days ago).

Mama is taking care of them well and they are all finally off the nest and sampling the food and water I have for them. Today I noticed two of the chicks are pasting up. I didn't see this yesterday and today while I was out there I saw Mama look at the poop on their butts and peck at it. Should I just let it alone for now and see if Mama takes care of it? She seems to be very attentive and careful. Also, they are outside in Utah weather which right now is about 42 degrees. They are in a separate part of the coop/run that is closed off from the other girls, but it is outside. Mama is keeping them warm by kind of standing up and putting her wings down to the ground to make a shelter for them. Every so often they will come out to take a drink or eat some food and them run back under Mama when they get cold. Some of them are just poking their heads out and eating.

I read an article on The Modern Homestead that says it's easiest to let Mama do it, but I was wondering if the pasting up needs attention.

Thanks.

smile.png
You should keep a watchful eye on them, but I would say that the Mama hen will take care of the chicks just fine. No, make that better than just fine; most Mama hens can take WAY better care of their chicks than we can!
tongue.png

I just had a chick with pasty butt (being brooded by a hen, too, by the way), and I would advise you to be proactive. It can progress very fast and can actually kill the chick. Pick each chick up and see whether the poop is covering and blocking its cloaca. If it is, or even if it's close to blocking, I'd intervene. You take a paper towel or tissue, wet it, and use the paper towel/tissue to moisten the dried poop to the point that it can safely be pulled off without pulling the feathers or delicate tissues.

Back
Top Bottom