New chicks shipped USPS Express today. nervous & anxious

cupman

Songster
8 Years
Apr 12, 2011
Portland, OR
I have 7 new baby chicks being shipped to the post office as we speak. It's express delivery, which USPS website says is overnight delivery in most locations so I hope that's me. Should I keep their brooder out of my chicken coop with my other, 5 month old chickens? I have 12 of the 5 month olds, they are my first chickens ever. I am just unsure if there are any diseases I would have to worry about, none of my neighbors have any chickens and all of my girls have had healthy lives. The baby chicks are also vaccinated. I think I might keep them inside for the first few days anyways, just until they are a tiny bit bigger.

The breeds:
1 Silver Speckled Hamburg
3 Silver Lakenvelder
2 Light Brahma
1 Blue Andalusian

My second order comes in October and I'll receive:
2 Speckled Sussex
2 Easter Eggers
1 Naked Neck/Turken
2 Dark Cornish
1 White Cochin(really lucked out, I tried to order 2 and it said it couldn't process my order, changed it down to 1 and it went through, then changed to "sold out")

getting exciting, going to have a nice variety ready for next spring laying

Last edited:
I would definitely keep them in doors for a while. You'll enjoy them more often and it's a great opportunity to handle them frequently.
big_smile.png

who did you order from? and yeah mine come this week and im leaving them inside for about a week!!!

If you know your hatcheries zip code (if it's Meyer or MPC, they'll ship out of Polk, OH) and your POs zip code, then this link can be used to tell you whether it's overnight or two nights: http://webapps.usps.com/expressmailcommitments/landing.jsp
Express
delivery would take two nights to my local PO (because we're out in the boonies I suppose), but it's overnight to a bigger PO just about 20 minutes down the road.

If your coop is ample and a walk-in (to allow easy access and socialization), then I'd set the whole brooder inside there (although I know you'll want them in the house with you for a few days...lol). It's nice for your original flock to be exposed to the newbies as soon as possible. You're going to have your hands full come October...lol. There's no way I would have attempted staggered hatchings at this time of year...lol...you're brave.

Wishing you a happy, healthy box of chicks
smile.png

hey great link teach1rus1, I actually googled for something like that earlier but gave up after a couple links.

Also, about the staggered hatchings, yeah it wasn't ideal for me but I just wanted to have full on layers by the Spring time. I'm going to have 3 sets of different aged birds that will all need to be introduced to each other. I still haven't figured out how I'm going to do it. I will probably try to introduce the two younger batches first, then introduce the oldest batch after the first two have integrated. I also have a rooster right now, he's timid and friendly, but they say there's only 90% sexing accuracy and I have 15 birds coming. So odds are I will get at least one more rooster, if not more.

It's going to be a learning experience, that's for sure. keep your fingers crossed for me
tongue.png

Last edited:
Quote:
How exciting cant wai to hear all about your peeps!

I ordered from MyPetChicken too! I wish I had chosen a clser date, I need to wait until the 26th of Sept...

I have two orders that were shipped today - one from Meyer (2 Easter Eggers, 1 Welsummer, 1 Light Brown Leghorn) and one from a private breeder (4 Araucanas). I will be on pins and needles waiting on them to arrive. Can't wait!

Back
Top Bottom