New chicks

Cbf

Chirping
Feb 17, 2018
Massachusetts
planning on getting my chicks next couple weeks and I want to be ready.
I’ve got the brooder and planning to use paper towels for awhile for their messes. Had chickens before so I’m not a total newbie but that was several years ago. Wondering besides chick starter, can I introduce acv to their water to get them used to it. Never gave it to them before but read it’s good for them. Also can they start on herbs like basil, oregano, mint etc or should I wait till they’re older. Thanks in advance...cbf

Welcome to Backyardchickens.com aka BYC! :frow
:yesss:We are glad you joined our flock.
Jump right in and make yourself at home.
If you plan to feed ANYTHING besides a "regular" commercial chick feed make sure you have chick grit available.

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

CURRENT COOP CONTEST click here >>#1

The 9th Annual BYC Easter Hatchalong!

:welcome:celebrate

Glad you're here !

A must have for your poultry is a FIRST AID KIT for any issues that would arise. (https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/suggestions-for-a-first-aid-kit.1150128/)
It's definitely better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.

Also, make sure your coop(s) have a proper amount of VENTILATION. (https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop.47774/) Your chickens will absolutely thank you for it!

One last thing, if you're into gardening, feel free to join this years SEED SWAP (https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/seed-swap.1220129/)

G’Day from down under Cbf :frow Welcome!

I cringe at the mention of ACV but only because it is one of those topics which people feel passionately for or against. I am also going to stick my neck out here and risk some backlash from the 'against' team, but I do use ACV [with mother] with my gals and because chicks are raised by a broody hen, they are also on ACV from day 1. No doubt, others are going to advise differently and it is a personal choice which only you can make based on opinions received and research.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out. These two in particular may be of interest to you:
Topic of the Week - Feeding Chickens - What to feed and when?
Topic of the Week - Feeding Treats
[Edited to add second link]

I do hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you include your general location on your profile, this will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock when they arrive, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

My personal favorite is to start all chicks out with probiotics. They really kick start the immune system into high gear, protecting them into adulthood. Use probiotics made for birds, without dairy products. Many chickens are lactose intolerant. I use AviBios by Avitech. Amazon sells them. Some herbs are great for chickens! Ginger, Chamomile, right now I am using Hawthorn on an old hen with a heart condition. I am sure she would have died years ago had I not kept her on Hawthorn.

Enjoy this new adventure and welcome to our community! :)

Back
Top Bottom