New chicks!!!

annie3001

My Girls
13 Years
Jun 11, 2009
Ct.
Hello,
I haven't been on in a while. But I find myself coming back... thats a good thing right? Anyways, we are expecting between monday and tuesday of this coming week to get 6 baby chicks. We are sooo excited.
A little background, we currently have 10 chickens, 2 are about 5 years old from our first flock. the rest are about 4 years old. Doing well. I only lost 3 due to natural causes. We own 4 ducks too.
My question is: I would like to put the new baby chicks with a chicken. I have a plymouth rock that has a wonderful temperment. I could see her being a great mom.
How do i do this? I have another coop that will house her and the babies. Do I just put a couple with her at a time? Do I need to use a heat lamp still? Chick food?
i just dont know where to begin. This has always been my dream with owning chicks. None of mine in the last 5 years ever ever went broody. We thought one would, then she got off the eggs. (sigh).
Any feedback/advice is much appriciated!!
Thanks!!

andrea-

Awe, really, was really hoping for her take on the chicks. Is this a fact she wouldn't accept them?? Just wondering if I desperate her with some eggs and place a baby there? I don't want any chicks to be pecked to death. I do trust her tho. Wonder if I can introduce in my house with her first and be present. Never leaving the chick alone.

I put a silkie chick with my EE's (don't know if they were broody or not b/c i dont' know what that means) and they were curious but did nothing.

I didn't leave the chick with them however. Just let it frolick around with them for a bit while supervised.

Back
Top Bottom