New College Pets

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by allen wranch, May 3, 2009.

1. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    I live in San Marcos, Tx, home of Texas State University. The San Marcos river flows through the campus and there is a park and sunning area for the students. A lot of ducks live on the river also.

I work for an attorney part-time and a client came by to see him yesterday. While he was in the waiting room, I kept hearing these quacking sounds. The sounds got closer, and in walks his girlfriend with a duckling in her arms.

I started talking with them and found out that some of the college students keep ducks as pets. They like to take them to the river and swim around with them.
    I think we know what will happen to most of the ducks when school lets out. [​IMG]

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Yup! They'll end up at your house... LOL

3. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    OR at a parents house! I have a pekin and rouen that I took in from a friend of my daughters at school. We happen to live just south of the University of Kansas. Some kids got 2 ducks in their apt. and then found out they couldn't have them, duh! So, mom (me) got that call......Hey MOM, will you do me a favor?......Why do mom's always rescue the animals?? OK, dads probably do too!

4. allen wranch

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    I am afraid they are going to be turned loose on the river with no survival skills. [​IMG]

5. Poulets De Cajun

Like I said... they'll end up at your house, cause you know you'll inevitably rescue them. LOL

So have you picked out names yet?

6. allen wranch

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    We will see...

7. Poulets De Cajun

Lets see... there's Eeny, Meeny, Miny, and Mo, Lavergne, Shirly, Tom, Jerry... [​IMG]

8. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

You could contact the local media and alert them - maybe if the word gets out an "adoption day" could be organized?

Let your local Humane Society know, too.

9. allen wranch

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    It may not be a problelm. I only know of this one person... "Lots" may be two more people.

Will check it out more around graduation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by