New Coop Blueprint

Upper 90s is hot.

And mild winters makes me think more venting is better
Okay. Now the only thing that is making this hard is the plywood. We changed it to 6’ height by 6’ length by 5’ deep. But all the plywood sizes i have found are 8’x4’ which means every wall is going to need two pieces of plywood

Okay. Now the only thing that is making this hard is the plywood. We changed it to 6’ height by 6’ length by 5’ deep. But all the plywood sizes i have found are 8’x4’ which means every wall is going to need two pieces of plywood
No, it means every piece of plywood will need to be cut.
Making your coop 8x8x8 will take care of that, but then you'll need to cut some of the roof peices.

I keep meaning to do a proper article on the build starting with my plans and ending with the finished article - but of course I am never actually finished as I keep tinkering!

You should. You can always update the article with each change and the reason why it was changed. I LOVE coop article like that. It's so helpful to know why decisions were made and what altered them.

There has to be another vent on the roof over then the soffit vents?

Do i need another vent on the high and low side in the wall?

Since you get hot summers you want PLENTY of extra airflow. Heat and ammonia both rise so venting them at the top of the walls just under the roof is the best option. You could also leave triangles at the top of the side was open with only hardware cloth on them (which makes putting in your siding easier too).

I am in Northern NJ. That is why I showed you how much I have open.
The chickens don’t really care how cold it is as long as they are out of the wind and nice and dry.

This!

So something like this or will this be too much ventilation? @aart

There is essentially no such thing as too much ventilation unless it's so open that the birds can't get out of winter storm winds. :)

Summers here get only about upper 90s and we have mild winters.

With summers like that you might even make your entire south wall wire for summer and put removable panels on it for winter.

Don't hesitate to change your design to match the standard size of materials. Anything other than dimensions divisible by 4 requires extra cuts and wastes wood. 6x6 is better than 6x5 because you can cut 12-foot boards in half.

What I'd do on a 6x6 would be to run the panels vertically, one and a half for each side.

Also, be sure to use exterior-grade plywood. Or Hardie panels (if you have the right tools to cut this material). You don't save money buying the cheap wood that you have to replace in a couple years. :)

Metal siding is another option.

You should. You can always update the article with each change and the reason why it was changed. I LOVE coop article like that. It's so helpful to know why decisions were made and what altered them.

Since you get hot summers you want PLENTY of extra airflow. Heat and ammonia both rise so venting them at the top of the walls just under the roof is the best option. You could also leave triangles at the top of the side was open with only hardware cloth on them (which makes putting in your siding easier too).

There is essentially no such thing as too much ventilation unless it's so open that the birds can't get out of winter storm winds. :)

Don't hesitate to change your design to match the standard size of materials. Anything other than dimensions divisible by 4 requires extra cuts and wastes wood. 6x6 is better than 6x5 because you can cut 12-foot boards in half.
Agree with all this (and yes, I really will do an article - I also LOVE reading all the coop build posts - I love designing stuff but I can't always be building it!).

@CKfarm22 - both 3KillerBees and I keep mentioning 'triangles'. You can work with the plywood sizes and your design and you will see you need a triangular piece to fill in the side because the front is higher than the back so the side isn't square. Instead of putting plywood there, simply cover that triangle in h/w cloth. Saves cutting a piece of plywood to fit and gives lovely ventilation.
All this requires a lot of planning - and maybe adjusting dimensions so you are getting the most out of your 8x4' pieces, so it is worth doing a bit more 'paper planning' than feels necessary before you actually start.

@CKfarm22 - both 3KillerBees and I keep mentioning 'triangles'. You can work with the plywood sizes and your design and you will see you need a triangular piece to fill in the side because the front is higher than the back so the side isn't square. Instead of putting plywood there, simply cover that triangle in h/w cloth. Saves cutting a piece of plywood to fit and gives lovely ventilation.
All this requires a lot of planning - and maybe adjusting dimensions so you are getting the most out of your 8x4' pieces, so it is worth doing a bit more 'paper planning' than feels necessary before you actually start.

Yes, this.

The more cutting the more trouble and expense so use paper to work it all out ahead of time instead of making your mistakes in wood.

No, it means every piece of plywood will need to be cut.
Making your coop 8x8x8 will take care of that, but then you'll need to cut some of the roof peices.
Unfortunately we don’t have the room it make it 8x8x8 so it has to stay the size we are making it. But still, every wall is going to need at least two pieces of plywood, cut or not.

Best practises- roosting bars are removeable. you can buy metal thingies' or notch a board attach to the wall. This lets you take them out of the coop for cleaning and painting. When you can remove the bars it gives you more room for cleaning when you are in the coop or catching chickens in a corner. Depending on your situation I highly recommend outside nesting boxes. In the winter I don't have to enter and let all the heat out of the coop and sometimes I am going to work and I don't want to let them outside or get covered in chicken sh*t.

Back
Top Bottom