new coop design

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BMD17553, Dec 4, 2013.

1. BMD17553

BMD17553 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2013
    Ok so i have this really small coop right now connected to a fairly large run the coop has two nesting boxes and a really small roost, i want to build a similar one with bigger everything. i want to build it six foot tall six foot wide and eight foot long i then want to enclose half of it with wood and make a roost and have nesting boxes stick out of the back i then want to put the roost about 3 1/2 foot to the roof then the other half of the coop will be wired so its predator proof. any suggestions to improve it??

2. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    I definitely think you'll be happy with a larger coop. You'll also be able to have more chickens! Consider yourself, not just the birds. You will have to clean it, maintain it etc, so make sure it is tall enough to work in etc. If you have predators, make sure you use hardware wire and not chicken wire. Chicken wire will contain the chickens nicely, but will not stop dogs, raccoons or many other predators. They will rip it open and get the birds. Post pics once you start the new coop.

3. BMD17553

BMD17553 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2013
    will do i will start building in about a week from now but i will post pics as i go

4. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    If it will sit on stilts, 6 feet will be rather wide to easily reach across to clean, move items, retrieve chickens.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by