New coop "J.R.'s Brood House"

Doodle Bug

Hatching
7 Years
Dec 23, 2012
Keller, Texas
Apparently there was a problem with the pictures loading. Here is the almost finished coop.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
The back side

This the back before the window shutter installed.

Last edited:
I like this. How many does it hold? Sorry I dont know the difference between a "brood house" and just a coop? Did you build this yourself or was it a kit?

Beautiful!!
Pics of inside coop please?

Coop needs alot more ventilation for Texas tho.....chicken wire will keep chickens in but not keep predators out.

I like this. How many does it hold? Sorry I dont know the difference between a "brood house" and just a coop? Did you build this yourself or was it a kit?

Bravo! :clap

You've done a great job....looks real nice!

Jim
I'm calling it "Brood House" because it sounds like Brew House and my roo is J.R. Short for Tamale Jr.
I built it but have some alterations to do. Here is my blue print. Ha!

It has eight laying boxes. Way more than they will need. It would accommodate 20 or more very easily. I've had two hens for 3-4 years. I built this because we wanted more with a rooster. We have seven hens and roo all about eight months old. He is still figuring out what to do with them and learning how to crow like a boss. We will be taking on more girls soon. Just don't tell my wife. She does not understand "chicken math". Ha

Beautiful!!
Pics of inside coop please?

Coop needs alot more ventilation for Texas tho.....chicken wire will keep chickens in but not keep predators out.

Thanks. With all the research that I did first it was after the fact when I read that about the wire. It is the 1" same as my little coop was. Not sure if I should do the cloth just a couple feet up or redo it all. I thought I could double up the wire since I have almost a whole roll left over that I was going to use around the garden.
The inside doing the deep liter.
[/IMG]

Thanks. With all the research that I did first it was after the fact when I read that about the wire. It is the 1" same as my little coop was. Not sure if I should do the cloth just a couple feet up or redo it all. I thought I could double up the wire since I have almost a whole roll left over that I was going to use around the garden.
The inside doing the deep liter.
[/IMG]

I think I'm doing these replies all wrong. Seems to be multiplying them. I'm just learning this site, just been creeping up till now.
One window in upper backside and one in front for ventilation both with shutters. Actually considering a ventilation fan with thermostat control like the one I installed in house attic but I'd either have to slow it down or remove a couple blades. I've read where they love the fans blowing on them when it's hot but not sure about while roosting. One more window would probably be fine just above storage bin. The coop started out to be 6'X6' until I started using the chicken math and made it 6'X8' to add storage and more roost area.

Back
Top Bottom