New coop "J.R.'s Brood House"

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Doodle Bug, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Doodle Bug

Doodle Bug New Egg

Dec 23, 2012
    Keller, Texas
    Apparently there was a problem with the pictures loading. Here is the almost finished coop. [​IMG][​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG]
    The back side
    [​IMG]
    This the back before the window shutter installed.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  2. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    Bravo! [​IMG]

You've done a great job....looks real nice!

Jim

1 person likes this.
  3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Looks really nice.

1 person likes this.
  4. momofthehouse

momofthehouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2014
    Seabeck, wa
    I like this. How many does it hold? Sorry I dont know the difference between a "brood house" and just a coop? Did you build this yourself or was it a kit?

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Beautiful!!
    Pics of inside coop please?

Coop needs alot more ventilation for Texas tho.....chicken wire will keep chickens in but not keep predators out.

6. Doodle Bug

Doodle Bug New Egg

Dec 23, 2012
    Keller, Texas

I'm calling it "Brood House" because it sounds like Brew House and my roo is J.R. Short for Tamale Jr.
    I built it but have some alterations to do. Here is my blue print. Ha!
    [​IMG]
    It has eight laying boxes. Way more than they will need. It would accommodate 20 or more very easily. I've had two hens for 3-4 years. I built this because we wanted more with a rooster. We have seven hens and roo all about eight months old. He is still figuring out what to do with them and learning how to crow like a boss. We will be taking on more girls soon. Just don't tell my wife. She does not understand "chicken math". Ha

7. Doodle Bug

Doodle Bug New Egg

Dec 23, 2012
    Keller, Texas
    Thanks. With all the research that I did first it was after the fact when I read that about the wire. It is the 1" same as my little coop was. Not sure if I should do the cloth just a couple feet up or redo it all. I thought I could double up the wire since I have almost a whole roll left over that I was going to use around the garden.
    The inside doing the deep liter. [​IMG][/IMG]

8. Doodle Bug

Doodle Bug New Egg

Dec 23, 2012
    Keller, Texas
    [​IMG]

9. Doodle Bug

Doodle Bug New Egg

Dec 23, 2012
    Keller, Texas
    I think I'm doing these replies all wrong. Seems to be multiplying them. I'm just learning this site, just been creeping up till now.
    One window in upper backside and one in front for ventilation both with shutters. Actually considering a ventilation fan with thermostat control like the one I installed in house attic but I'd either have to slow it down or remove a couple blades. I've read where they love the fans blowing on them when it's hot but not sure about while roosting. One more window would probably be fine just above storage bin. The coop started out to be 6'X6' until I started using the chicken math and made it 6'X8' to add storage and more roost area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by