New coop ... just finished

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MikeBuild, Mar 20, 2012.

1. MikeBuild

MikeBuild New Egg

Dec 10, 2011
  2. OCpeep

OCpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2012
    Orange County, CA
    [​IMG]

Very nice!

3. G-Man

G-Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice looking coop and run.
    Very clean design and build. [​IMG][​IMG]

4. BigdaddySean

BigdaddySean Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2012
    I agree. Super nice!

5. ear019

ear019 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2010
    Huntsville, TX
    How big is this? And about how many chickens will it hold? My dad and I are about to start building ours, and I'm trying to get ideas...

6. MikeBuild

MikeBuild New Egg

Dec 10, 2011
    The coop is 4 x 4 inside and the pen is 4 x 8 ( which = 4 x 12 total exterior space ). Following the 4sf per bird rule ... 4 birds.
    I used rough sawn lumber and plywood for the exterior, standard (cheap) plywood for the floor (1/2 sheet) and osb for the roof panels. If you use metal roofing or corregated roof panels you could omit the osb and skip sheet it (to save a few pennies). Construction glue and screws work great. I use stain instead of paint just because I don't have to prime before staining.

7. srmoss

srmoss Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2012
    suffolk UK
    very nice looks like a job well done

8. kahhrma

kahhrma New Egg

Jul 27, 2010
    Oh how I wish I could build a coop on my own! What a beautiful job you did on yours! Thanks for sharing! Good luck with the chickens you get to fill it. :D

9. KimKimWilliamso

KimKimWilliamso Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2012
    Nanton, AB, Canada
    Wow, that looks identical to all those pre made UK coops I was drooling over recently, LOL
    We are starting our coop this weekend! So excited! Your looks awesome! Your 4 hens will be soooo happy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by