New coop run - currently yard grass - what should we do ?

9.14’x17.9’ is 163.6 square feet. There is no way the first photo you posted is 9x18ft, I think you are confused about your measurements.

We are in FL and our winter doesn’t have many cold days and none below 30 maybe once a month at night for a day or two.

I’m not sure what you mean about “getting rid of all the boys” because we aren’t allowed any roosters here. We have 5 pullets.
Well, if you look at who I quoted in that post, I wasn't replying to you but someone else ;)

Attachments

• DB396CC1-64CC-469F-BB40-8AD74C3F26F1.jpeg
    DB396CC1-64CC-469F-BB40-8AD74C3F26F1.jpeg
    284.2 KB · Views: 17
  • A3D6F5DA-6D69-48BD-9F00-EC8727CDFD9D.jpeg
    A3D6F5DA-6D69-48BD-9F00-EC8727CDFD9D.jpeg
    270.2 KB · Views: 16
We just had new coop put in and babies will go in a few months from now. What should we do for the run after the chickens dig up all the grass? We are in FL. Hot and humid. So sand is natural dirt. Thinking of adding mulch or just crushed up river rock? Or sand? Not wanting to do deep litter method. Any thoughts are appreciated. Will be letting them free range in yard sometimes.
I'm in Florida too and I've found that a dirt floor works fine. Then again, mine free range all day. I've heard that sand works pretty good...

Thank you! He also built ours a bit larger. As with anything you build custom you can get a few inches larger. I highly recommend them and he even added a few extra convieniences in for cleaning and a baby roost .

9.14’x17.9’ is 163.6 square feet. There is no way the first photo you posted is 9x18ft, I think you are confused about your measurements.
Well I’m not so great at the square footage thing but I certainly can measure lol my ex husband was a carpenter and taught me well. I’m glad to know we do have 163.3 square feet! As I thought the coop is huge. I could get my entire self inside and have room leftover. In fact when he built it that’s what he did so he added extra floor braces. It’s very strong.

Back
Top Bottom