New coop

I'd want to fix a couple of things about your coop. The hardware cloth isn't secured well enough, and should extend all the way to the wall everywhere. If it's all improved already, that's good, but otherwise make improvements there.
It will be easy to scrape bedding out without having a board across the doorways, but bedding will stay in the coop better, so you can make it deeper, if there's a 4" to 5" high lip there.
Are those the same roosts they have in their old coop? Have you tried saplings or tree branches?
Window openings on the south side, with hardware cloth, and plastic in winter?
It's a very nice coop!
Mary

How do you carabiner barrel locks?

Another thing you might want to do, put ~4" boards up at door openings,
so all the bedding doesn't end up outside the coop..can make them removable.
Once the rod is sent over I have small carabiners through the end of the barrel so the rod can't be pulled back without removing them.

I'd want to fix a couple of things about your coop. The hardware cloth isn't secured well enough, and should extend all the way to the wall everywhere. If it's all improved already, that's good, but otherwise make improvements there.
It will be easy to scrape bedding out without having a board across the doorways, but bedding will stay in the coop better, so you can make it deeper, if there's a 4" to 5" high lip there.
Are those the same roosts they have in their old coop? Have you tried saplings or tree branches?
Window openings on the south side, with hardware cloth, and plastic in winter?
It's a very nice coop!
Mary
The hardware cloth has been fixed since the first pictures, and I'll definitely be putting a threshold in as a couple of you have suggested. Is there a reason for tree branches instead? Rougher wood, easier for them to grip? I'm just curious. The old coop had 2x2s but it was a Tractor Supply prefab. Thanks for your suggestions!

All but 3 went in on their own last night now that the old coop is gone. I'm hoping the last three don't try to roost in the trees forever :barnie

As already said, clip the wings to stop them going in the trees, also where is the nest box, I couldn't see it on your photos?
I stopped using shavings I made some poop boards for under the roost, so much easier to clean, it will save you some money on shavings too, you won't use as much.

Roost material and configuration is debatable(highly).
Hopefully soon all will be in the coop..Best of cLuck!

Back
Top Bottom