New dog advice.

Firstly, see if the shelter has a return policy in case it doesn't work out. And if not, you can surrender him if it's just not a good mix with your current dog.

With the new dog, be aware of basic safety stuff. I adopted an adult dog and he bit me in the face when I reached for something he was chewing on. You hear all the perfect fairytale stories of adopting shelter dogs, but sometimes they have some really complex behavior issues that are very dangerous. I had never had a dog with resource guarding/food aggression and did not even think twice about this, but it is a REAL thing, and is especially common in dogs that had bad backgrounds and may have had to fight for their food out on the streets or in the wild. Look for basic signs that the dog is upset or could become aggressive in all new situations you bring them in: growling, "whale eyes", ears pinned back, showing teeth, raised hackles, straight tail, etc.

Keep the dog leashed in all new situations until you see how he reacts. See how he reacts to petting, touching his collar, etc., and find a safe way (leashed and not in biting distance) way to test for food aggression or general aggression with humans or dogs.

Others have covered other topics here but I just wanted to give my two cents on safety and aggression stuff. Even the sweetest of dogs can have unknown issues with very particular things, and it's best to go about things carefully and not find out the hard way like I did. Don't just throw him into your routine with your other dog and expect things to go okay (by posting this and asking all these questions, I assume you wouldn't anyway). Take your time, be cautious, and get to know him slowly.

And by the way, the dog that bit me in the face is doing very well and I still have him today. He's just taken hundreds of hours of training, but he's a great boy. I hope you have a good boy on your hands as well! Well, minus the need for the hundreds of hours of training lol.

if he is a youngster and had a collar, he might not have been on the run too long. He looks nice and relaxed in the car!

Keeping my fingers crossed there, for the older pooch.
I have a cat that 7 years after the fact still is not on board with us having gotten a puppy and another cat. Luckily she just complains loudly to me; MOM! They are LOOKING at me!!!!

68345700-0505-4650-8F92-86DE992777D0.jpeg

So far, so good. There were a few growls from Buster, but only because the new dog was in his face. No fighting, just a growl from Buster here and there.

Keeping an eye on them.

I currently have 3 dogs, all adopted from rescue/shelter at ages 2+. In fact all our dogs except the very first one were adopted as adults. Really my only advice is take things slow and make adjustments as you go, because you never know what you'll be facing. Once things settle down it's always been fine, but each time we've gotten a dog the first few weeks have been hectic for sure.

Of the current group, the oldest was a stray, brought in starving and skinny and fearful of everything. He refused to interact with us for weeks, stole food from the kitchen counter, and bit me twice. I had to confine him to my office area for gradually longer periods of time to get him used to me. He also wasn't used to other dogs so reacted badly to them (he fought the next dog we adopted twice in one day, and they had to be kept separated for 6 weeks before we were okay with letting them be in the same area unsupervised), but at this point he finally understands that he's a dog and that other dogs are dogs too.

The second is unreliable as far as potty training and absolutely will pee/poop in the house if she can get away with it. She's also crate anxious (tore herself up when we tried crating her) so to stop her from peeing everywhere she gets tied up whenever she can't be watched. Because she accepts this calmly and readily (and can break the chain if needed, in case of emergency) that's been the solution for her issue.

The third was an owner surrender and suffered from severe separation anxiety and would destroy stuff if left alone for even a few moments. We had to let her sleep outside our bedroom door and take her everywhere we went (eating out, grocery shopping) until she got over it. We worked with a trainer to address it but in the end Prozac saved the day. After about a year and a half on it we slowly weaned her off and she's been ok with being left alone after that.

In all cases the shelter/rescue was able to tell me if the dogs were potty trained or not. And they all required that the dog pass a meet & greet with the other dog(s) in the household - I usually ask that our dog(s) go for a walk with the prospective new dog and look for them to mostly ignore each other.

Back
Top Bottom