New Dominique/ee chick. I think it's a girl?

Male or female?

• Male

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Female

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

pa2chitown

Chirping
Nov 28, 2015
What about you?

Unless both parents are barred, you can't go by the "rules" of barring to sex your birds, sorry.

which parent was which? If the Dom was the father, you'll have to wait for comb, etc around 6 weeks.

If the Dom was the mother, you have a sex linked male.

Unless both parents are barred, you can't go by the "rules" of barring to sex your birds, sorry.

which parent was which? If the Dom was the father, you'll have to wait for comb, etc around 6 weeks.

X2 on donrae's post.

My roo is the dom (no pun intended) ;)
...but sex-linked traits are dominant, and in chickens the male has two copies. Since feather and leg color are dominant, a purebreed MALE will pass on one chromosome (and the dominant genes) to all offspring.
Anytime you see the sex-linked feather and leg color traits, you can determine sex, if you know how to judge them...but i dont guess anyone is going to be 100% correct?
Dominant genes only require one copy. The hen, for all intent and purpose, carries only one sex chromosome.
I used to be able to check the cloaca and determine sex, but i dont think that is 100% either, and the chicks are small and dont appreciate it. :eek:

x2

EDIT: This posted later than it was supposed too. Darn spotty wifi.

Last edited:
....unless the traits are "partial dominant"?
My discussion is based on what i know about genetics, not empircal experience with breeding chickens.

I'm not sure what traits you're referring to here. If it's the dark wash on the legs, that's not sex linked. It's simply the result of one barring gene vs two barring genes. In a pure bred barred male, the legs will be pure yellow or white, depending on the breed. In a single barred male, which this chick could be, the legs will have a dark wash because the bird only has one barring gene. That's what I meant in my first response by saying you can't go by the rules of pure bred barred birds with only a barred sire. You're just going to have to wait this one out, sorry.

I'm not sure what traits you're referring to here. If it's the dark wash on the legs, that's not sex linked. It's simply the result of one barring gene vs two barring genes. In a pure bred barred male, the legs will be pure yellow or white, depending on the breed. In a single barred male, which this chick could be, the legs will have a dark wash because the bird only has one barring gene. That's what I meant in my first response by saying you can't go by the rules of pure bred barred birds with only a barred sire. You're just going to have to wait this one out, sorry.

x2

Genetics is not based on popular opinion...
What im discussing are the dominant sex-linked genes.
When dominant gene is present, one gene is all that is necessary.
When x-linked chickens are different than humans, the male had 2 chromosomes, the female has one (with a tiny second).
You seem to be discussing autosomal recessive genes, which is not part of sex-linked dominant.

Im not fighting you about whether or not "i" have a hen or rooster, that was a light hearted topic. When you say "youre going to just have to wait, sorry", you make this out to be personal. Its just about musunderstanding the genetics.

Back
Top Bottom