New Duckling Owner. Need advice.

My gift and I bought our first 2 chicks,mallard and blue swed,didn't know sex till mallard got older and of course she was a she,no curl on blue so she was a she,raised them in a room in a baby pool with bedding,it's a daily chore if u want them as pets,they grow fast and poop every 15 mins,lol.we let them swim n the tub and feed them starter feed and then corn green beans lettuce and they loved grapes,I build a pen about 300 dollars later,very nice I mite say.well they weren't as sociable as I thought unless u had a can of corn,lol,so I got 2 pekin chicks from watching videos and reading,just missed the part about there the 2 ne loudest and we r not even sure if we r allowed to have them where we live,but neighBors r cool with it.we were told we had to buy 2 at a time cause a siNgle duck will get depressed.well pen got bigger for all 4 and there was sum alpha issuses n the beginning but then mallard took command.well she started taking the roll seriously in the pool by mounting them aNd even to the point making the thrusting noise just like us humans when we get our toes curled,lol.so what the hell,asked a friend and got a male mallard,little rocky at first cause alpha mallard didn't want to b steeped in by.but a month later and there a flock,must have about 8 eggs in the fridge and 2 old ones n the pen,there not sitting on them but they do bury them,but there in the yard all day.i can't even come in the bk and crack a beer without them rushing to me thinking its a can of corn,we spoil them with nite crawlers and red leaf lettuce and of course corn.they eat plenty in the yard thou,and when it wet,say good buy to ur lawn if there's a puddle,it becomes mud,lol.if u want ducks for pets and don't have a lot of land,it's work,I work all week sometimes coming over one nite during the week to my gas and I don't even get to drink a beer,I clean the pen,drain the pool and vacuumed it out.wash all drinking bowls,it's work.but when were out here watching them or had a bad day at work,when they all fly over to u to want food,inside ur head u think they came over to say hi,makes it all better.all she has to say is " kids come here" and they all come to her,I have to whistle,plus I can imitate there calls pretty good.they r costly and a lot of work just like n e pet,but that's y we have pets,for the joy and love they bring us.

Thank you all for your advice. I talked to my mother about it and she said its my decision. However, she said that if I decide the duckling needs a friend she'll buy me one after her paycheck. So I'm probably going to get the baby duckling a friend. :) cross your fingers that I can find another one when the time comes. I thought about keeping an imprinted duckling and realized that I still have years of highschool and then 10 planned years of college and then my adult job. I couldn't leave an imprinted animal alone that much depending on how long it lives.
Thanks for helping me make this decision.
Hopefully everything works out and little duckie will get a friend.

Thank you all for your advice. I talked to my mother about it and she said its my decision. However, she said that if I decide the duckling needs a friend she'll buy me one after her paycheck. So I'm probably going to get the baby duckling a friend.
smile.png
cross your fingers that I can find another one when the time comes. I thought about keeping an imprinted duckling and realized that I still have years of highschool and then 10 planned years of college and then my adult job. I couldn't leave an imprinted animal alone that much depending on how long it lives.
Thanks for helping me make this decision.
Hopefully everything works out and little duckie will get a friend.
thumbsup.gif
fl.gif

I figured out what duckie's bill movement means. I'm guessing he was hand fed wherever he was hatched. Everytome I reach for him he opens his bill and stares at me. I tried reaching in with his feed and he happily set away to munching from my hand. :) it's the cutest thing.

I figured out what duckie's bill movement means. I'm guessing he was hand fed wherever he was hatched. Everytome I reach for him he opens his bill and stares at me. I tried reaching in with his feed and he happily set away to munching from my hand.
smile.png
it's the cutest thing.
Where's the pics?

I have to get batteries for my camera before I get to take good pictures. I have 1 or 2 on my phone but cant access them right now.
hmm.png

I finally found out what my duck is!!! I know a person that knows the person who hatched them.
Little Duckie is a Muscovy!!! I think I'll go join the Muscovy thread!!
big_smile.png

I have to get batteries for my camera before I get to take good pictures. I have 1 or 2 on my phone but cant access them right now.
hmm.png

I finally found out what my duck is!!! I know a person that knows the person who hatched them.
Little Duckie is a Muscovy!!! I think I'll go join the Muscovy thread!!
big_smile.png
Yay welcome to the world of Scovy's

I finally got my ducky a friend!! The new duckling is a 2 1/2 week old Muscovy. It's a little bigger than the first duckling but they took to each other perfectly. Little duckling was overjoyed and practically sat on top of the new one in order to be close to him and preen each other. Bad news is that new ducky is terrified of me(humans) and freaks out when he/she sees me. Singing to it calmed it down however and it also liked to have duckified company. Hopefully with gentle consistent handling and treat giving the duckling will get used to me. Can't wait to get pictures tomorrow.
I apologize if it wasn't correct to post on this oldish thread again.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom