New duckling with splay legs - advice please *PICS*

Gypsy07

Songster
9 Years
Feb 4, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
After nearly 24 hours in the Injuries/Illnesses/Emergencies section this post got no answer, so I'm reposting it in this section to see if anyone can help me.

I have a one day old duckling - last one to hatch, just taken out of the bator yesterday afternoon - with splayed legs. Not too bad, but bad enough she's just not quite right. She gets her feet under herself then one of them slips out to the side. The hatching tray of my bator is plastic mesh, and it's always been fine for chicks, but obviously ducklings have bigger flatter feet and I now realise it's probably not ideal for them. I'll know next time!

Anyway, this duckling. Once I caught her doing the full splits, I slapped a sticky plaster on her legs straight away to hold them together. But now she is mostly just lying out flat with her legs behind her, and having trouble standing or even sitting up. I keep picking her up and sitting her upright but I'm not even sure I've got the plaster in the right place. On chicks it always looks as if it's higher up the leg than I've got it, but I don't want to put the plaster over her fluff.

I was hoping someone might have a photo I could compare mine with...

48355_cimg3122.jpg

48355_cimg3123.jpg

48355_cimg3126.jpg

*That was what I posted yesterday - she's sitting up okay now.
I'd just like to know if I've got the bandage in the right place and how long I'm likely to need to keep it on for.

Thanks in advance everyone
smile.png

idk about ducklings, but my chick had hers on for 6 days, now she's up and running like crazy! in fact, she's so fast I can't even get a good picture of her anymore, it's all a blur!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom