New ducklings, one died, what to do

kids and ducks

Hatching
5 Years
May 5, 2014
My family just decided to give this backyard duckling idea a try but we are feeling a bit down at this point. We sent off for 6 ducklings, one was dead on arrival and one just died this morning, they are a week old. I feel like we missed something. Thought we'd done our research and everything seemed pretty basic but now I'm nervous about the remaining 4. Any kindly words or advice?

My family just decided to give this backyard duckling idea a try but we are feeling a bit down at this point. We sent off for 6 ducklings, one was dead on arrival and one just died this morning, they are a week old. I feel like we missed something. Thought we'd done our research and everything seemed pretty basic but now I'm nervous about the remaining 4. Any kindly words or advice?
I'm so sorry, it's heartbreaking to have one die, Could have been any number of reason and none to do with how you have been caring for them, we have a really good info sheet on caring for baby water fowl here is the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Very important to always know what the temps are in your brooder, also making sure the ducklings can always wash their faces so they don't get clogged up with their crumble, there is a good example of a homemade waterer on the info page. Are you seeing any symptoms that are worrisome in your ducklings since this lil one passed?

Thanks so much for the info. Really appreciate it and I will be ordering that book for sure.
The four ducks we have left seem to be acting fine. I made another waterer like this page suggests. We have is a self waterer with a jar and trough. They can dip their bills in and seem to get what they need but I thought maybe they'd like the chance to dip their heads in... and they do! We also will be getting some brewers yeast to add to our feed. Its organic chick starter but we hadn't realized they could need more niacin. Also, we were told to feed them hard boiled eggs mashed up... do you know anything about that? Or what age we should try this?

Thanks so much for the info. Really appreciate it and I will be ordering that book for sure.
The four ducks we have left seem to be acting fine. I made another waterer like this page suggests. We have is a self waterer with a jar and trough. They can dip their bills in and seem to get what they need but I thought maybe they'd like the chance to dip their heads in... and they do! We also will be getting some brewers yeast to add to our feed. Its organic chick starter but we hadn't realized they could need more niacin. Also, we were told to feed them hard boiled eggs mashed up... do you know anything about that? Or what age we should try this?
I have never been able to get my ducklings or ducks to eat hard boiled eggs the adult ducks will eat crushed egg shell as will the chickens. Maybe it's mentioned because it has protein in it? I have seen it mentioned on BYC but don't know the true reason. But yes brewers yeast sprinkled onto the feed is a good way to give them the extra niacin they need when eating chick feed. and very important they can dunk their heads. keeping their nares and eyes clean. You know think about these duckling hatch and are put into a box for shipping so no ones has the chance to observe them to make sure they are healthy and sometimes it takes a while before it shows up anyway. Thankfully the rest of your ducklings are fine and healthy. Even those of us who let out ducks hatch here at home lose some so it just happens no matter what. Hopefully the ones you have left will be so much fun and enjoyment it will help with the loss of the 2 lil ones. And you can pick up some poultry vitamins next time your at your feed store, they can also help give your babies a good start. I like Poultry Nutri Drench but there are other too. I just remembered I have seen it rec to try mash boiled egg yolk when having trouble getting a duckling or chick to eat.

Last edited:
Yes, I agree with you on the way they were hatched and shipped. Trying to remind my kids of that too :) Thanks so much for the tips and perspective. Feeling better already!

Yes, I agree with you on the way they were hatched and shipped. Trying to remind my kids of that too :) Thanks so much for the tips and perspective. Feeling better already!
What breed of duck/ and please post some pic when you can... also for got to mention
welcome-byc.gif

We were trying to assemble a mixture of fun, good laying hens so we got 2 khaki campbells and 2 runners. Then we decided on 2 cayugas because they are cool :)

Back
Top Bottom