New EE pullet acting strange, please help!

OK! This is pretty gross and I think I have some answers! Just witnessed her take a watery poo and low and behold after investigstion I think I found the culprit, a worm! Anyone know what type this is and will Safeguard kill it?

Attachments

• IMG_20200522_154812.jpg
    IMG_20200522_154812.jpg
    417.1 KB · Views: 11
OK! This is pretty gross and I think I have some answers! Just witnessed her take a watery poo and low and behold after investigstion I think I found the culprit, a worm! Anyone know what type this is and will Safeguard kill it?

So from what I've gathered thus far from all the advice:

-Her strange walk may be due to an electrolite imbalance brought on by the heat we've been having.

-It is safe to treat with Corid and Safeguard at the same time, but not with Nutri Drench.

I have decided to first give her some sugar water with the salt and baking soda pinch and keep her as cool as possible.

I will stop Nutri Drench and continue with Corid just in case and administer Safeguard for the worm I just found.

I think the combination of the heat and worms are the culprits to her behaviour. She must have not been feeling well due to the worms and the heat exasperated it. Perhaps she was getting up less to drink water due to discomfort, therefore causing dehydration and electrolyte imbalance. I am treating her as well as my other two girls, currently she is inside enjoying my company and the a/c.

Really hoping this helps her!

Last edited:

Looks like a tapeworm to me.

As soon as your pullet will get rid of the worms and regains her electrolyte and vitamin balance she will perk up and be just fine.

Prue was very comfortable last night, she began walking around late last night, eating and drinking some.

I brought her outside with me and she is foraging around like normal 😊 She even chased and caught a moth! ( albeit very wobbly lol)

I cannot thank you all enough! I honestly believe if I hadn't intervened and had the advice from you all when I did, she may not have made it to today.

IMG_20200523_100825.jpg

Her posture is back to normal too ♡

Prue was very comfortable last night, she began walking around late last night, eating and drinking some.

I brought her outside with me and she is foraging around like normal 😊 She even chased and caught a moth! ( albeit very wobbly lol)

I cannot thank you all enough! I honestly believe if I hadn't intervened and had the advice from you all when I did, she may not have made it to today.

View attachment 2155461
Her posture is back to normal too ♡

I know this sounds silly but glad she passed the worm. So often there are so many things it COULD be that seeing a worm really narrows it down! Hope she gets even better after the deworming treatment. :D

There is exactly zero downside to giving Corid even if you don't know for sure there is coccidiosis.

Between intestinal worms and coccidia as far as being life threatening, coccidia will kill a chicken ten time faster than worms.
So extremely thankful for this site and the amazing chicken lovers who help us all! Do you have saved my flock more than once! With humbled gratitude, thank you ❤️

Back
Top Bottom