Songster
9 Years
Mar 20, 2015
Northwest USA
IMG_2392.jpeg
IMG_2395.jpeg
IMG_2394.jpeg
IMG_2393.jpeg

Built a cheap five gallon feeder for my chicken run. Leftover pickle bucket from work and six feeding ports that I got on Amazon. Kit came with the feeding ports, hole saw, six horizontal nipples and a drill bit. I have another bucket for a waterer. I’m all in about $30. I’m sure y’all have seen these before but I’ve never made one. Came out ok. I have some large funnels I’m thinking of putting on top to try to prevent roosting.

Do you guys find you hens manage to flick much feed out using those feeder sockets?
I use this type of feeder and have noticed when the bucket is less full, there is no waste. Just refilled the bucket with a flock raiser crumble feed, and noticed very minor wastage at port site, but then the bird eat it off the ground so not a huge loss by any means.

View attachment 3508139View attachment 3508140View attachment 3508141View attachment 3508143
Built a cheap five gallon feeder for my chicken run. Leftover pickle bucket from work and six feeding ports that I got on Amazon. Kit came with the feeding ports, hole saw, six horizontal nipples and a drill bit. I have another bucket for a waterer. I’m all in about $30. I’m sure y’all have seen these before but I’ve never made one. Came out ok. I have some large funnels I’m thinking of putting on top to try to prevent roosting.
Definitely put a funnel or other obstacle on top....they'll soil it very quickly if not. I have a 5 gallon converted waterer and they wrecked it in just a couple hours. Went to the hardware store and bought a funnel and gorilla taped it to the top. Problem solved

View attachment 3508139View attachment 3508140View attachment 3508141View attachment 3508143
That's helps but they still try to climb on mine. I have mine hanging in the middle of our hoop coop and now it's like they have a swing lol. So idk what to do for that. And our other ones are in the mobile A-frame on the roost so it definitely gets dirty I wish I could do something to prevent that .o well still gotta clean them like once a week.. try to anyway. It looks good. Good job

Back
Top Bottom