New fountain and gravel walks in the chicken yard ::PIX::

bawkbawkbawk

Crowing
15 Years
Mar 29, 2009
Coastal Southern California
Our new deck is almost complete and we added a fountain. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but our first hen started laying the day we turned on the fountain!

Our landscaper suggested adding the gravel walkways - we have some elsewhere on our property so they help tie the chicken yard in with everything else. I've noticed that I'm not tracking in NEARLY as much yucky stuff now - the gravel really helps keep shoes cleaner, and dog paws, too!

Here's what the wall looked like before:
26444_wall_before_fountain.jpg

And here's how it looks now:
26444_img_4321.jpg

New gravel walkways:

26444_img_4324.jpg

Now we can sit on our deck, enjoy listening to the fountain, and watch our chickens free-range. Who knew chickens could raise property values so much?

26444_img_4322.jpg

The DH loves the chicken emperor shirt from your blog.
Very Nicely Done,we are gathering up ideas for our next coop/run design.
Thanks for the pics.

Beautiful!

I love gravel, too. We had this area next to our house that has several large poured concrete blocks, put in by the original owner of the house. Over the years, the blocks shifted, now they're not level, and they were chipped and ugly. We got an cost estimate to rip them out. Practically passed out when we heard that number. Instead, we decided to find another way to deal with these ugly blocks. We had a wood deck built over them, but after the wood deck deteriorated over time, we ripped that out, and now we have the area covered with gravel. Looks nice, easy to maintain, lasts, and it was the least expensive of our alternatives.

We had some gravel left over from this project, so I used it to make some pathways in the back of the yard that used to get muddy on us.

Back
Top Bottom