New Girls and we have an issue pecking after a couple weeks

anthonyjames

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
Port Washington, WI
I got 4 new birds this past week that are 20 weeks old. 2 Buckeyes and 2 Speckeled Sussex. Well all was going well thus far and there has been some pecking and fighting.

Where can I pick up bluecoat??? locally instead of ordering online? Or what can I put on the area that is red to stop others from pecking?

Last edited:
Go to the medicine area of your feed store --- look in the horse and cattle section. There are SEVERAL name brands of blue type medicines, any of them would work to cover up the red places. Blue Kote is well known, but there are others. I didn't see that exact product at my feed store, but I believe my TSC has it.
I use Pad Kote - it's for dogs, but it has Gentian violet. You want either Gentian violet or I think it was Methyl violet in the ingredients because they stain skin blueish purple.
You can also get plain human-grade Gentian violet from some pharmacies if you ask for it.

Actually it stains everything -- I have blue spots on my hardwood floor and some wash rags, so be careful what you get it on! lol

Back
Top Bottom