New Goose Owner here! Am I doing okay? ALSO WEIRD BEHAVIOUR I NEED HELP EXPLAINING !!

Plut0

Hatching
May 10, 2021
Hello everybody! This is my first post on here, so let me start off with some context. First, though, the weird behaviour is at the very bottom if you don't feel like reading. I am currently raising an Embden x African gosling. The catch is that we're urban! Even though I'm new to raising waterfowl, I have a vast knowledge of overall avians. This post may be long but it's because I just want Gilbert Jr to be a happy, healthy goose. Gilbert is currently around two to three weeks old (fluffy and for the most part water proof, though I can feel those feathers growing). We live in a house in town with my other family members and a really friendly husky (previously would let my pigeons sit on him, wouldn't hurt Gilbert Jr). I've heard geese make excellent house pets, even solo, but, I've also had people tell me that the goose could die because it's alone! For anyone wondering, yes, I give him my FULL attention. He comes everywhere with me, and if not, he's with another family member. I do school online so that's not a problem until the end of the year. I don't doubt I have enough sunshine, yard space for grazing, and comfort for Gilbert Jr, but food is what I have concerns about. I've heard so many things about geese feed specifically for goslings and I really need assistance in making sure I feed my gosling right. I currently feed him a non‐medicated chick/poultry starter, a LOT of grass (pesticide‐free), peas, corn, lettuce (small pieces), sand for grit, and apple slices. Now, I know that this isn't enough nutrients, but it's only temporary until I can snag some waterfowl starter, oats, wheat, barley, more fruit like watermelon, grapes, better quality grit, and brewers yeast? I think this is what they need, alongside any other non‐toxic fruits or vegetables. I've read all goose articles I could find RELIGIOUSLY. They all say this or that, but what do you guys think is the absolute best I should feed Gilbert Jr? I've heard brewer's yeast is required in at least 2% of their entire food. I'm thinking the grass and waterfowl starter as a majority but add the grains and extras altogether (excluding grit, separate bucket for grit). Again, I've read so many that say feed this or that to the point I'm horrified of the idea that I don't give my gosling the nutrients he needs. He seems to be healthy though! His poop is occasionally watery, but for the most part solid, green with a bit of white, and barely to no odour. Eyes are wide and alert, etc. He loves it when I put him on my chest and Gilbert will immediately go quiet after I hang out with him. Since we live in a town I take him on at least 2‐4 walks every day (I sit down to let him graze/forage too). I bathe him in my bathtub with luke‐warm water too, just until he'd old enough for a kiddie pool. I hope I can provide him enough that he doesn't absolutely crave another mate, but if it comes down to it, and I find I can do it, I'll definitely get him a partner. Doesn't seem to show signs of loneliness. Gilbert loves to pip and pap but if you carry him he'll be the happiest little bugger. Once he's bigger he'll be allowed to free range in the yards. With all of this, now comes the real weird thing:

Sometimes, he'll look up and start opening/closing his beak. What's he doing?
It's not panting, I think. There's no raspy breathing, or really any breathing sound at all. He doesn't always do it, just sometimes for about a few minutes. Is he okay? is it something to do with his digestion? Poor diet? Overheating (even tho he'll come under the blankets with me mere moments later)? Every other physical part of him seems healthy. It looks like how we do when we're rapidly rolling our tongues around to taste whatever we just ate. I've heard when waterfowl do this they may be dehydrated but I ALWAYS offer him water and he just continues after drinking his normal amounts (not tiny sips but not massive gulps). His beak can definitely fit deep enough to submerge his nostrils. Is it just maybe him saying he's hungry? Any tips? Again, Gilbert Jr is my first gosling. I really don't want to accidentally neglect my babies...thanks for reading!

I'll try to attach a video of him opening his beak if I can catch it. Here's some pictures of him though :) (darn camera quality)

Attachments

• image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 67
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 25
  • image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 26
For extra context:

‐ "School?!"
Yes. I am still in school. I'm quite young, actually! Though I have great marks and as mentioned, I'm doing online school so I can give Gilbert Jr my attention. He might just be my emotional support animal, actually...

‐ Gilbert Jr?
That's his name! Gilbert The Goose...Jr.

‐ How did you sex him?
Completely off of physical clues, TBH. He's light in colour, stands tall, and has wide legs. "He" is my go‐to label for everything though, so really "he" could be "she"! Only time will tell I guess.

‐ Note: I'm trying to find a local avian vet, or just a vet in general in can go to in case of an emergency.

‐ Chickstarter?
Just until UFA opens or I can make a trip to Fosters (Canadian seed store). I've heard it'll do though! Just doesn't have as much nutrients as waterfowl feed,

I doubt anyone will read this, but, if you do, thank you so much for taking the time to listen to my rambles.

I’d need to see a video to be sure but it could be nervous panting, geese sometimes pant with thei mouth open when they see something scary, strangers, dogs, a suspicious pair of shoes, etc.
I finally got a video of him doing it. He mostly chirps and I don’t really hear any breathing, but could it be nervous panting? He mostly does it when he’s safe and in my lap, sometimes after a nap. Someone said Gilbert may just be adjusting his crop but is it possible he has something goin’ on? The only problem is that I’m new to this site and I’m not sure how to upload a video, it only shows me the option to upload photos?

Ah okay, thank you! I'll look into that
Most post videos to YouTube, Instagram, or Vimeo and then link them here, posting videos directly on here is an issue.
He could also be getting to warm, as their growing goslings are constantly changing metabolically and their temperature fluctuates fairly easily.

Plut0, Gilbert is adorable!!!!!

I know the mouth opening has been addressed so I’ll go into the rest of your post.

Have you been able to get her ( that’s my opinion from the color if it were an embden. I know zip about the Africans.) on a waterfowl feed yet? I know it was short term for you but chick starter is never a good option for waterfowl. A good quality waterfowl diet will eliminate the need for niacin supplements. Geese will eat fruit as a treat but the high sugar content makes it less appropriate. Watermelon would be an exception and can be given more often. I don’t kill weeds in my yard and at this point it’s mostly clover and dandelion with thyme and fescue and Timothy. I have horses as well and am picky about forage options.
At Gilbert’s current age, vent sexing can be done very easily and with minimal stress. There are a number of videos on YouTube about how to do that.
What are your plans for housing as Gilbert grows? I don’t think geese are inappropriate back yard pets. Your neighbors might disagree though. Geese bond very very strongly to their flock. Left alone in the yard (or anywhere really) Gilbert will likely be very noisy and stressed even if he/she is only alone long enough for a short run to the store. It’s not ever ideal to keep just one goose. Not that I don’t know people who have raised them that way, I would just not recommend it and won’t release any of my goslings to a single goose home.

You didn’t mention what type of water vessel you’re using for Gilbert’s drinking water in the brooder, what source you have for swimming and bathing when mature? On a side note, when I moved, my new farm didn’t have a pond so I dug one for my waterfowl. The unappreciative brat geese still use the kiddie pool and leave the pond to the ducks. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom