New Hampshire!

Pics
Did anyone else see this post on the Chicken Swaps of NH facebook? I don't know much about chicken diseases, and am not sure what to make of it.

ALL SWAPS ARE CANCELED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
SORRY FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE.

Chicken Swaps of NH has volunteered to cancel swaps until further notice. We are giving our assistance to the department of agriculture to help contain the spread of multiple infectious poultry diseases.
The department of agriculture informed Chicken Swaps of NH that some poultry diseases are spreading faster than usual. The department of agriculture is trying to track the diseases and thereby slow down the spread. Bio security is extremely important right now.

If you have unknowingly had any contact with infected flocks the department of agriculture could contact you and offer to test your flock.

For further information please contact the NH department of agriculture.

When the department of agriculture notifies Chicken Swaps of NH that these diseases are well contained we will resume swaps. We are doing everything in our power to keep all flocks safe.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-Swaps-of-NH/113533082076138?hc_location=timeline

I am still trying to figure FB out.. assuming that link leads to a group.. how do I join?

Anybody got any idea about what of diseases they are talking about??

I am still trying to figure FB out.. assuming that link leads to a group.. how do I join?

Anybody got any idea about what of diseases they are talking about??
According to the page it's MG... a bit of info is here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/600566/mg-certified-hatcheries-breeders

What concerns me the most is that the Chicken Swap FB page is the ONLY place I am hearing about this. The Dept. of Ag has said nothing publicly, I haven't heard anything from NH Poultry Fanciers or other folks in bordering MA. Very strange... I'll contact Cindy at the State after the dust settles...she is probably inundated with calls right now.

I saw this too. Dont want to be over-reactive, but it has me a bit anxious. Looking fwd to learning more as we go.
I haven't seen it anywhere else as well. I do a lot with chicken friends in NH so am interested to follow what will happen.

I already emailed Cindy, I can quote to you what she told me:

We have been seeing multiple flocks testing positive for MG (Mycoplasma Gallisepticum) and MS (Mycoplasma Synoviae) neither disease is zoonotic, and most birds do not show symptoms unless they become stressed, but they do spread easily and they do transfer through the egg to the chicks and can cause lower egg production and loss of sales and it is a reportable disease.

When I asked her if the state was making any recommendations to homestead flock owners, she replied with:

It is very difficult and the only thing to do is cull your whole flock, disinfect and start over from flocks testing clean for MG & MS…which is hard to do. Testing for MS & MG is not required for NPIP classification so most distributor flocks do not test for it. They feel if they find it in their flocks, they will have to cull all of them and start over. Flocks like Murray McMurray’s told me straight out that they do not test for that very reason, they hatch hundreds of thousands of birds and finding those diseases would wipe them out. If you test positive for MS or MG, your flock would be quarantined to your property for the life of your birds and any birds you bring in will automatically be considered infected & would also be subject to quarantine. Neither disease effects people so it is considered safe to still eat the eggs and the birds.

Hi all, I'm in Whitefield NH :)
frow.gif
I am getting 15, straight run, barred rocks in about a week and a half so am going to be looking to rehome some of the roosters. Although I won't know if they are roosters till a bit later. I was never good at sexing chicks till they are old enough to really tell
idunno.gif
It's been about 20 years since I have had chickens and I am starting to feel like a newbie
ep.gif
with all the new stuff, so very glad to have found all of you
old.gif

Just read you guys posts and I had read the FB swap post last nite and it said it was salmonilla? Am I wrong? If you scroll down the page a bit, there is a post on there that has a bulletin...is this in addition to? I mean the MS and the other one?

Hi all, I'm in Whitefield NH :)
frow.gif
I am getting 15, straight run, barred rocks in about a week and a half so am going to be looking to rehome some of the roosters. Although I won't know if they are roosters till a bit later. I was never good at sexing chicks till they are old enough to really tell
idunno.gif
It's been about 20 years since I have had chickens and I am starting to feel like a newbie
ep.gif
with all the new stuff, so very glad to have found all of you
old.gif
Barred Rocks are pretty easy to sex at hatch. If you post some pics Im sure a few of us can help you find the roosters.

Hmmm, just went and clicked the link and it DOES'T say salmonilla, it's the link for the swap schedule, just says several diseases. One poor lady has to cull all her flocks
hit.gif
So how do we find out which hatcheries are ok to order from?

Barred Rocks are pretty easy to sex at hatch. If you post some pics Im sure a few of us can help you find the roosters.
Oh thank you sooo very much
love.gif
wee.gif
That would make things much easier ! I will take some time to learn to put up pictures on here while I am anxiously waiting for my little flock to arrive. I did read about culling but not sure I could do it. I have no problem with them when older
idunno.gif
I had two at our family "hobby farm" that hated me when I had to collect the eggs before school, when I was a young un. They would attack me
barnie.gif
and as a kid, I didn't understand why. We had 50 hens and two roosters and other farm animals. So glad my Dad thought it was a good idea for us kids to learn where our dinner came from
cool.png
Also, I DID order from a reputable NPIP small farm hatchery!! I am only going to be raising a small flock for here, no big business, but am going to be doing bio security till we get to the bottom of all that is going on
hmm.png
That's one of the new things now, that I am learning!

Back
Top Bottom