1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Helmet rule Dressage & Eventing (Updates in Post #1)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by welsummerchicks, Jan 24, 2011.

1. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    FEI riders have the choice of doing their test in a top hat, but they MUST WEAR A HELMET WHILE WARMING UP!!!

I am amazed this rule passed so soon! WOW!

I'll get more details later in the week, and check the rule in more detail, to be sure the email was accurate.

Folks, I would not be surprised if some of the other riding styles go this way too!

These organizations, I'm sure, have been advised by their legal representation, to not continue with things as hey are.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Updates:
    I've seen one notice that says FEI riders competing under national rules must COMPETE, not just warmup, in helmet!!!

I just received an email that says that ALL eventer and dressage riders must wear helmets at competitions WHENEVER MOUNTED!!!!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I expect it is driven by the insurers, but whatever, high time.

(The people I know who've been killed falling off horses, it's been those times when of course you don't bother with a helmet b/c you're not really *doing* something, cooling the horse down after a workout or riding down the driveway to get the mail or etc)

I suppose this thread will turn into a big flamey helmet debate but I don't care [​IMG]

Pat

3. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I put a nice DENT in a helmet when riding my mare at a walk one night. And broke my arm, but that's beside the point.....without that helmet, I wouldn't be here today. I am all about helmets. I am perfectly competent to ride a horse at a walk....... [​IMG] But a walking horse becomes a bolting/bucking horse at the drop of a hat.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  4. Bantamlover23

Bantamlover23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Chuluota, FL
    I am glad they are going with more helmets. I ride western pleasure and no when I showing I do not where a helmet I know I should but I do not. It is mainly because no one else does. At home I do not get on a horse without one. My sister had to learn how to walk and tlak again after a bad riding accident without a helmet.

5. welsummerchicks

Jul 26, 2010
    Neither do I, LOL.

I'm very happy to see it. I've seen people injured very badly at home - and I'm hoping that requiring them at competitions, will eventually rub off on riding schools, and eventually, affect habits at home as well. 20 years ago, a crash hat was a rare sight around home barns, not any more.

People can do whatever they wish at home, but at a competition, when they're on the USEF's tab, I'll bet you in a few years, they'll all have to put on helmets. I think some other divisions already have rules that riders under 18 must wear helmets, but am not sure.

I think it's going to be the FEI sports that are going to pass helmet rules first, but the others will eventually.

One of these days, LOL, even reiners will have to wear helmets, LOL! They thought they were going to miss it by being made an FEI sport..."I hear the train a'comin...it's comin' round the bend...."

And even...I'm betting one of these days that health insurance will not cover riding accidents unless the rider was wearing a helmet! Perhaps first starting with head injuries, and then broadening out. They make their decisions based on statistics and the statistics are very, very much in their favor.

6. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    That's very good to see. I think after Courtney King-Dye's accident it really hit home with people. I used to be guilty of not wearing my helmet most days but I've changed that over the last year and now I ride with it every time. The only time I don't is in the actual show ring. It's just not worth the risk!

7. welsummerchicks

Jul 26, 2010
    All it took for me was to see ONE Jacksonian Seizure, the type a friend got after being injured riding at home.

It started in the person's big toe, and it got more and more violent, as it worked its way up, til it engulfed the person's entire body. And it went on for a long, long time.

8. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Better safe then sorry! Don't be to proud to wear a helmet when ridding or driving.

9. MustLoveHens

MustLoveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Albion, Wisconsin
    Finally! Organizations are getting something right! Im very very happy that FEI now has this rule. I know some barns that require every person on the place including stable hands to wear helmets at all times. They have to go on heads in the parking lot and stay there until you get back into the parking lot to go home.
    I always wear my helmet no matter what. I had to as a kid and took riding lessons. Once I got old enough, I stopped because I thought I liked cool and in control without one ( I was stupid teenager-what can I say!) Well, an adult friend of mine, Evey, went on the Sunday Trail ride at our schooling barn. Comming back, everyone dismounted and walked the horses back to cool them down. She was riding my friend Linda's appy mare Chauncy. Chauncy spooked at who knows what, reared up and hit Evey in the head, knocked her unconsious and she was in a coma for two weeks. She was not wearing a helmet. After that, I always wore a helmet. Evey, was fine after some intensive rehab and went back to riding.

10. welsummerchicks

Jul 26, 2010
    I don't believe this is an FEI rule. I believe this is a rule out of the national organization.

The FEI, I THINK...allows riders to compete in helmets.

There are really two types of advanced dressage classes - those run under FEI(international) rules, and those run under the national organization's rules.

Oh my God! I totally forgot! In national rules FEI classes, riders can ride in - a snaffle bridle!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by