New Helmet rule Dressage & Eventing (Updates in Post #1)

Quote:
Yeah, it'll be interesting to see what happens (if indeed any meaningful number of people actually take 'em up on it) but I suspect your prediction is quite correct.

Boy, some things you don't think will ever change! <looks out window to see if any pigs are flying past>

Pat

My senior moment senile read of the current rules tells me hunters (and other divisions as well) have to wear a helmet whenever the class involves jumping, and that JUNIORS in hunt seat need to wear a bucket on their haid any time they are on a horse at the show grounds.

Pat, judging by what I read on the internet about the double bridle (granted, this is mostly from people who don't do dressage, do a lower level of dressage, have never brought up a horse through the levels, or whatever level they ride at, they do it largely without legitimate instruction), few people, at least from that demographic, will use the snaffle at the higher levels -

'The double bridle is what allows the rider to equalize the weight born on both hind legs'
(this is done in the schooling of the horse from the day he is broken to saddle, through straightening and strengthening work - in the snaffle bridle)'

Why would ANYONE EVER school an upper level horse in a snaffle since the double is what creates collection?'
(collection starts long before the double bridle is put on - the double bridle cannot 'create' ANYTHING that has not already been taught to the horse and the muscles created systematically and progressively, so that the horse can do it. The double bridle is for refining the aids and is a traditional test of skill)

'NO ONE EVER schools a horse in a snaffle once they get the horse in the double bridle'
(Reiner Klimke even warmed his horse up at major competitions in the snaffle bridle, and most legit dressage trainers only train even a Grand Prix horse, part of the time in the double bridle)

'The double bridle gives more control'
(actually, no. The double bridle is not for brakes, nor is it able to create anything the horse has not already been trained to do!!)

As one trainer said (JOKINGLY), 'VY do you sink you need zu dubble bridle for BRAKES - ven you are in zu arena, you have a VALL - RUN ZU HOSS INTO ZU VALL EFF you NEED Brakes - ZAT vill shtop him!!!!'

'The curb bit sets the head/produces flexion/or whatEVER, and the snaffle bit raises the head'
(Wels in voice of Minion from 'Despicable Me': 'WHAAAAAT?' Wels cannot understand why someone can't flex or bend a horse with a snaffle bridle, or anything else, AND...Wels cannot even continue, Wels needs to go take an antacid, a decongestant, and do some deep breathing and visualization of blue skies and fluffy white clouds, and get a lengthy massage from Blond Hans)

Last edited:
I think it's a good idea I guess... I mean I would have a huge fit if they decided that you can't wear a top hat in upper level dressage, but other wise I think it's a great idea!!!

I never really wore my helmet and then I made it my new years resolution to wear it! I've only not done it twice since, it was kind one of those things where I was so used to jumping onto my horse and just hacking around bare back. But as soon as i realized what i had done i went and got it.

judging by what I read on the internet about the double bridle (granted, this is mostly from people who don't do dressage, do a lower level of dressage, have never brought up a horse through the levels, or whatever level they ride at, they do it largely without legitimate instruction), few people, at least from that demographic, will use the snaffle at the higher levels

Uh, reading those quotes, I don't think that any of the people are in great danger of HAVING to decide what bit(s) to use at the upper levels
wink.png

(to be fair on the 'brakes' comment, the double bridle sometimes IS used for primarily that purpose in the hunt field or in eventing, or anyhow useta be... although that is like saying that because stirrups help keep you in the saddle when doing tent-pegging or trick riding, that must be their purpose in dressage too
tongue.png
)

Pat​

It's you and me against the world, Pat, LOL!!!!!! (in other words, I agree, LOL)

Well, Celtic, this is only 'national rules', and doesn't affect the FEI rules. The 'national' upper level classes are for a group who are very good riders and ride PSG, I1, I2, GP, but are very very unlikely to be selected for a team or go 'in with the big boys'.

The FEI runs all the 'top dressage' competitions like the Olympics and World Equestrian Games. It also runs the 'CDI's - upper level tests that are held all over the world, but under FEI rules.

I have actually not too much trouble imagining top level dressage riders wearing helmets.

It can actually kind of be cool - 'Jockeys do it, Blood N Guts Eventers do it - it - it'll make us look cool, like them, instead of stuck up wussies in a coat that should be worn to a wedding!'

The ones I can NEVER imagine wearing helmets is REINERS!!!!!

Not only is that cowboy hat practically surgically fused onto the head, the whole IDEA...the whole CONCEPT of wearing a helmet,

'You'll get a helmet on mah sunburnt head only if YOU KILL ME DEAD fust!!!!'

Last edited:
The ones I can NEVER imagine wearing helmets is REINERS!!!!!

Not only is that cowboy hat practically surgically fused onto the head, the whole IDEA...the whole CONCEPT of wearing a helmet,

'You'll get a helmet on mah sunburnt head only if YOU KILL ME DEAD fust!!!!'

You betcha! Ditto cutters. Personally hats give me headaches, so I only wear one during actual competition. The rest of the time I go bareheaded. I can only imagine what a helmet would do. Fortunately I don't compete anymore, so I don't have to worry about rule changes. That said, horse activities are inheritantly dangerous and long ago I made the conscious choice to accept those dangers. Time has not changed my mind any. Personally I think the generation currently in charge of things wants to wrap everybody up in cotton wool and sit 'em in front of a computer to live vicariously instead of actually going out and doing stuff. Life is SUPPOSED to be difficult/dangerous; how else do you know you're alive?

I have the following sentiment hanging on my wall:

The goal of life's journey
is not to arrive at the grave
safely,
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out,
chocolate in one hand and martini in the other,
shouting,
like Jack Colter in Romancing the Stone,

". . . holy sh--t . . . what a ride!"

Words to live by!

wink.png

Rusty​

Last edited:
That is certainly your choice to do so, however, those who choose to wear helmets shouldnt be penalized in competition, esp youth riders, for doing so IMO.

Quote:
I absolutely agree. Safety should never be penalized. On the other hand, I don't think tradition should be either. Folks have been using particular headgear--i.e. top hats and cowboy hats--since their sports began, so I think every rider should be allowed to choose which headgear they want to use. And I am also betting that in time, if the demand is there, top hats and cowboy hats will be developed that have some protection built in yet still look traditional, as a compromise between the 2 schools of thought.

As always, JMO

Rusty

Back
Top Bottom