New Helmet rule Dressage & Eventing (Updates in Post #1)

Quote:
Yeah, Helmets in most western disciplines is never going to happen and same thing with saddleseat.

Some breeds like Paso Fino and WHAM (for Walking Horses) require ALL juniors to wear helmets.

Yeah i under stand juniors should wear them. It boggles me! I was talking to my freind who shows QH big time and she said that if she wore a helmet with the harness on it, that the judge probably wouldn't even look at her... I was like WHATTT? That's ridiculous. She rides Hunters.

When I showed dressage (Training & First) I wore a velvet hunt style helmet. Again, updated from the 1990s. I used it for English classes at county fair shows and used it for dressage. It's versatile and looks nice. Plus, I didn't have the money for a derby.

My friend that shows dressage also uses a regular helmet (again, sleek with fine harness) when she competes.

Since everything in dressage is black and white anyway, a black velvet helmet looks quite nice with the ensemble.

I am fully in support of this rule but I just realised that the downside is I will need to shell out the $$$ for a new show helmet in the next month or two
hmm.png
I totally misread the press release and thought that anyone over age 18 could still wear their hunt cap in the show ring, just had to have a helmet for the warm-up... I'd be thoroughly embarrassed to show in my schooling helmet. Looks like my poor beautiful hunt cap is going to have to become part of some kind of equestrian decor... LOL

I have seen conflicting statements about the upper levels, but all of the information on the lower levels is clear: helmet, any time one is on the horse - warmup, schooling, doing a test.

This is national rules, again, and governs recognized (USEF) shows.

Schooling shows, put on by clubs and other organizations, can choose what rules they want to follow. But I'm going to guess that most of the larger clubs will opt to follow national rules, and that even the smaller clubs will eventually follow.

Some of the information on the upper levels has been that they can choose if they want to wear a top hat while doing their test or not, but must wear a helmet in the warmup.

I thiink the warmup is probably the far more dangerous place, and it is very rare to see an upper level rider come off their horse during a test, no matter what sort of shenanigans the horse pulls off. So if that is the rule, I think it makes sense. But there are some old timers like me, riding the upper levels, who are, ah....'compromised' and we can flop off just about anywhere.

If they can do the upper level work, they're generally stronger and have more 'stickto-itiveness'. And perhaps all the really difficult horses 'flunk out' before they get to the upper levels.

But it is not at all unusual to see lower level riders come off during their tests, I've seen some very bad incidents of that.

I have to say, a person is far, far more likely to have a serious accident at home, or when riding an unfamiliar horse, such as when trying out a horse to buy. I've tried out some to-buy horses at shows, but don't generally do that.

At home, we tend to often be in a rush, and may 'hop on for just a second' with out the hard hat. We also tend to be dealing with well...'issues' at home, and doing more challenging work. At least I hope we're not doing that at a show, LOL.

Last edited:
But it is not at all unusual to see lower level riders come off during their tests, I've seen some very bad incidents of that.

Whoo boy! Isn't that the truth! I have seen some training/first level and young horse tests that looked more like the rodeo than dressage
lol.png
LOL

Well, I lucked out. I whined about buying a new helmet to my trainer and it turns out she has a beautful Charles Owens that she doesn't use anymore so guess who gets it? Woo hoo!!!

I'm totally happy to wear my hard hat through the next year while we're doing 3rd and 4th level... But I'll be looking forward to having prettier pictures when we get to PSG and get to be all decked out in our shadbelly and top hat
smile.png

I think it's a great rule and should be across the board for ALL activities that involve horses (this includes western and rodeo as well). My kids wouldn't even dare to mount their horse without their helmet and closed toe shoes.....

Quote:
I actually got the written comment once, for some canter circle or something like that, in a 1st level test at a schooling show where the horse was not reconciled to the test being in a strange indoor arena, "stayed on the full 8 seconds"
tongue.png

Pat

Folks, I've gotten several emails asking for clarification.

These are new USEF rules. There were two separate rules passed, one for dressage, one for eventing.

The USEF is the SINGLE American organization that governs recognized horse shows in the USA.

The FEI governs international competitions. Only a very, very few dressage tests in the USA, are conducted under FEI rules. If you were under FEI rules, you'd know, because they are MUCH MUCH stricter than national (USEF) rules.

I was showing my pony once and he took off at a dead flat out gallop, and galloped a full 20 m circle before I could slow him down, when a lady stood up and flapped a rubber raincoat about 5ft from the ring - Scott Peterson, the judge (whom I love) wrote of my horse:

"Very serious about his job"

Distancing his rider from potential attacks by sportswear?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom